Software to orginanize documents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by detz, Dec 29, 2008.

1. detz macrumors 65816

I'm planning on purchasing a nice scanner for the new year and I want to just put it in my room and every day open my mail and throw everything in the scanner and have it scanned and OCR'd. The scanner creates PDF's and uses Acrobat to make the text searchable but I want a nice app for sorting and searching the files. Any suggestions?

2. thatghost macrumors newbie

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Thanks thatghost - I'll give that a try too.

detz - if it's the Fujitsu ScanSnap you're looking at I totally recommend it. I need to be more organised about scanning everything - but for the stuff I have scanned it's worked great.

4. Platonist macrumors member

Platonist

It may be overkill for what you're doing, but I use DevonThink for this type of thing. I have thousands of academic articles in pdf format and I use DevonThink to organize them and perform searches. You can create different databases for various sorts of things you want to organize or just throw it all into one database and search for whatever you need when you need it.

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Jounler does the trick. Yojimbo might, too.

mt

6. dws90 macrumors regular

I second the Devonthink recommendation. While it may be overkill for what you need (especially the Pro Office version, which has the OCR and scanner support), I bought it over the summer and I haven't regretted it for a moment.