Software to recover files/trash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by perDuk, Jul 24, 2009.

1. perDuk macrumors newbie

Can someone tell me how to get deleted files back ?

When files are deleted, is there a chance that what is containing your trashbin gets overwritten by other files that are on your computer or would that only take place when your hard disk is quite full ? :rolleyes: I don't expect what i've been deleting to be real gone but actually don't really know.

thanks a lot!

I prefer :apple:

2. perDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! let's give it a try :)

On the Apple support site:

To prevent the recovery of files you deleted previously, open Disk Utility (in Applications/Utilities), choose Help > Disk Utility Help, and search for help on erasing free disk space.

when this happened it means actually everything is non recoverable i guess ?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Files in the trash are not erased until you empty the trash. While they are in the trash, the file is only moved/marked in trash but the space is still allocated by file system.. when you empty the trash, the space is returned to the file system pool.

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

...yet the file is likely still there on the disk for the purposes of a file recovery program, it's just had its entry on the "index" removed. Until, that is, it actually gets overwritten by another file, which will indeed be more likely if your disk is full.

5. perDuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your info and help people :rolleyes:

Refer to my first post, I discribed it wrong: i meant a trashbin that is emptied and not a trashcan containing deleted files from my computer. In need of the program to recover..

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For data recovery I like Stellar Phoenix since it can recover files even if the drive has been repartitioned or if the partion map is lost/damaged, that is as long as you did not perform a secure format. It has even recovered data for me on drives with some logical hardware failures, that is problems with the board not a damaged read/write head or disk platter. My favorite is Nucleus Kernel Mac but it only works in Windows to recover Mac drives, go figure.

Some of the more popular data recovery programs are Disk Warrior and Data Rescue II. They work well enough but only work with recognizable partitions. Since they cost as much as Stellar Phoenix I would just stick with that. So that in the future if you have a partition error or certain types of hard drive failures you can recover that data as well.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

exactly. The recovery programs work by finding the entries, which are moved to a 'trash' folder, and then looking at the allocated space to see if the file is still there. Even after they are removed by emptying the trash, the entry in the index is usually still around, it's just marked 'deleted'.