Software to reduce constant high fan speed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by veganicity, Aug 30, 2012.

1. veganicity macrumors newbie

Out-of-control fan speed is commonly reported after swapping hard drives or installing SSDs in recent-model intel Macs.

Version 2.12 of this freeware:

SSD Fan Control at http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/

appears to give users the ability to reduce the fan speed on iMac systems by overriding System Management Control (SMC) of the hard drive and optical drive heat sensors and relying on S.M.A.R.T. reports of internal temperatures.

If you've used exirion's SSD Fan Control on your iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook Pro, could you please report on your experience?

The developer's web site provides no un-install instructions. I'm reluctant to install freeware that has no instructions for clean removal, especially in the absence of user reviews. If the developer is monitoring this forum, would you kindly provide un-install instructions here and on your web site?

Many thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

No need, if you follow these instructions:

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I can vouch for this freeware, it's a fantastic utility and I was in contact with the developer over the Mountain Lion launch to report my findings and an updated version was developed to fix the GUI issue that occurred. I ended up sending him a donation for his work on getting the issue fixed so quickly.

I have a Crucial 512 M4 SSD installed in my iMac 27", this utility is great for allowing me to set the HDD fan speed to stop it creeping up to maximum. It's pretty much install, set fan speed and forget it about it. Brilliant.

In terms of uninstall instructions, I suggest you go to his webpage and send an email, he's replied to any I've sent him in the past and I'm sure he'd help you.

4. icyappleman1234 macrumors newbie

Persistent high speed fan fixed

Oh my god .....blessed silence. The fans were running at top speed...6000 RPM The mac genius bar had no suggestions except to replace computer or logic board. SMC was reset to no avail. I suggest you use the SMART SETTING when the computer heats up.....the fan comes on.

without SSD fan control

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Macbook Pro 2008

http://imgur.com/V12Qyzt

with it

http://imgur.com/FGDIihj

give this guy a paypay donation

Attached Files:

5. AnalyzeThis, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

The most effective way to solve fan problems - fix the defect itself. Macs are not designed to be noisy. In my other brand laptop, at slightest load: fan was very loud, CPU was very hot and exhaust air was, well, ?cold?. No software would solve serious hardware problem. In my case, it was defective heat pipe. Once heat sink assembly was replaced - fan became un audible. For defective sensor, in this case, software could be good enough band-aid, but not in every case. Also, when you upgrade to SSD or other HDD, you will need to transfer HDD thermal sensor (older models). Unfortunately, Thermal sensor may not be separate piece (newer models), then software is the only fix.

6. icyappleman1234, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

icyappleman1234 macrumors newbie

This may be the only fix for me....and thanks

Thanks for the tip and comment....and I agree...except there is no hardware way of fixing the problem...as per Mac Genius Bar who says the only way is to replace the logic board...a very expensive fix. I suspect that they have seen this issue before. The computer checked out OK in every other way.

It has original hard drive and optical drive but a few years ago I replaced the RAM and made it 4gb instead of 2gb

However from the attached images you can see that the high speed fan setting is independent of the temperature and comes on as soon as cold computer is turned on. Hence my conclusion that it is not a sensor problem but the execution of the logic board interpreting the sensor and creating an action.

A theory is (mine) is that the logic board has a default action as

fan on high if problems with sensor input or confused inputs

this would be a much better default action than

senor input issue......default to fan off

Here is the image of the temp and fan speed from a wake up from sleep mode showing cold sensors all around and high speed fan.

http://imgur.com/F1zLtFC

the image is also attached

and.......

I wrote

Exirion, the author of the application, to donate money as I was having trouble with the Dutch paypal site that I was directed to.

his response

and then 16 minutes later he writes again.....

What a helpful and ethical guy.....this internet thing is amazing.

cheers to all