Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13aines

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Hi all,

I've recently bought my first Mac, an Air. I've almost completely stopped using my hefty Windows 7 laptop now other than for engineering modeling work.

One thing I have not been able to find a good replacment for though is Allway Sync (https://allwaysync.com/) which I use to sync my Dropbox folder on my laptop with a copy of my Dropbox folder on my USB key.

This means when i'm at university (no desktop client available) I can put my work on my USB key and when I get home and plug it into my laptop it syncs (two way vital for shared project folders) with my Dropbox folder - this is very useful.

Does anyone have any suggestions for similar Mac software? I want it to sync automatically when I plug my USB key in ideally, and needs a UI that isn't too complex - I need to be able to set it up easily so I can put my complete trust in it.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

4TheLoveOfMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
Does anyone have any suggestions for similar Mac software? I want it to sync automatically when I plug my USB key in ideally, and needs a UI that isn't too complex - I need to be able to set it up easily so I can put my complete trust in it.

Check out Econ Technologies' ChronoSync (http://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html). It has scheduling options where you can schedule it to sync when a volume mounts.

13aines

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Thanks for that! Looks ideal.

My USB key has remained formatted in NTFS, and when i've used it on my Mac i've been able to with Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Chronosync says the USB key is read only, is this why? Does the Pargaon software only work for Finder?

If so, i'd like the ability to use it on Windows still (university computers) and occasionally transfer the odd file >4gb - is exFat the way to go to allow Chronosync to work, 4gb+ files, and use on Windows too?

Thanks

EconTech

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks for that! Looks ideal.

My USB key has remained formatted in NTFS, and when i've used it on my Mac i've been able to with Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Chronosync says the USB key is read only, is this why? Does the Pargaon software only work for Finder?

If so, i'd like the ability to use it on Windows still (university computers) and occasionally transfer the odd file >4gb - is exFat the way to go to allow Chronosync to work, 4gb+ files, and use on Windows too?

Thanks

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with ChronoSync! ExFAT will work just fine with ChronoSync and Windows, and it can store 4GB+ files. NTFS *should* work as well if Paragon NTFS is installed and you’re able to read/write to the volume within Finder. Can you confirm you are in fact able to both read from and write to the NTFS volume in Finder, not just read from it?

13aines

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with ChronoSync! ExFAT will work just fine with ChronoSync and Windows, and it can store 4GB+ files. NTFS *should* work as well if Paragon NTFS is installed and you’re able to read/write to the volume within Finder. Can you confirm you are in fact able to both read from and write to the NTFS volume in Finder, not just read from it?

Hi,

Yes that is correct, was able to read and write to it in Finder, when it was formatted to NTFS.

I'm busy at the moment with finals exams, but I can reformat the stick to NTFS and give you more info in a couple of weeks if you'd like?

Thanks.

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.