software to test a HDD for problems (like Windows Checkdisk)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feuerschlange, Nov 10, 2008.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

I have a external FW HDD, that I suspect to be faulty.

Which software do you use, that tests this HDD for all possible faults.

With Windows, CHKDISK was the proper tool, to make sure about an HDD. Which apps do you use?

(I have problems with mounting/ unmounting, I/O problems, problems with accessing the HDD while copying to/ from, ...)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Perhaps you are looking for a more comprehensive utility, but are you familiar with Disk Utility in the Utilities folder? For simple tasks it can be very useful.

3. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

No luck with disk utility

Unfortunately, disk utility can not give me the level of information, to verify the problem.
    Disk utility just says - operation (mount, unmount, repair, ...) is not possible.

I just want to know, where the problem with the drive is, before shipping it back to the dealer (which is not as easy here as in some more developed part of the world, by just stepping by at the dealer and going home with a exchange hdd).

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

And how would you suggest someone who is not running an installation of Windows on their Mac run Spin Rite (assuming they do not have a PC available)?