Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1800DOCTORB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
A while back I remember coming across software that allowed a user to turn off 1 processor in a system, presumably for testing purposes. It may have been a widget or some other Java app, and I'm pretty sure it was freeware. Has anyone used this successfully to test problems with a processor? Does anyone know where to find it? I've been having lots of issues with kernel panics lately, an after extensive testing I believe its either a RAM or processor issue.

Thanks.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
1800DOCTORB said:
A while back I remember coming across software that allowed a user to turn off 1 processor in a system, presumably for testing purposes. It may have been a widget or some other Java app, and I'm pretty sure it was freeware. Has anyone used this successfully to test problems with a processor? Does anyone know where to find it? I've been having lots of issues with kernel panics lately, an after extensive testing I believe its either a RAM or processor issue.

Thanks.

Keep it simple.....it's probably RAM. Did you add RAM recently?:confused:

PCheese

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2004
Try installing XCode, including the CHUD tools. You'll get a hardware preference pane, from which I think you can disable a processor.

1800DOCTORB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
yenko said:
Keep it simple.....it's probably RAM. Did you add RAM recently?:confused:

I don't think its RAM. I haven't installed any recently and I've tested it extensively... 1st pulling each chip and testing 1 at a time, then using Apple Hardware Test looped 50x over 2 days, and also running Memtest and Rember. All seemed to say everything was fine. Yet the kernel panics continue.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Does "extensive testing" also include doing a full reinstall of OS X (not an Archive and Install)? What apps are you using when you get the kernel panics? What are the specs of your machine?

cbiffle

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
Tempe, AZ
MacRumors folks love to blame the RAM, but keep in mind, any kernel extension is capable of causing a kernel panic from even a subtle bug.

Check what kernel extensions you have loaded (in System Profiler, or using the 'kextstat' command in Terminal) and check for anything not starting with com.apple. Consider unloading any such extensions before proceeding further.

1800DOCTORB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
crazzyeddie said:
Does "extensive testing" also include doing a full reinstall of OS X (not an Archive and Install)? What apps are you using when you get the kernel panics? What are the specs of your machine?

Yes. Full install. This happens with all apps, up to 5x a day. Also, the machine will freeze up every single time I render with FCP4.5 or FCP5. I've also trashed preferences, run every single utility I can think of, repaired the catalog... you name it, I've tried it.

PowerMac Dual 1.42GHz FW800 Model, OS 10.4.3, 2GB RAM, 3 internal hard drives (120, 160, 200)

1800DOCTORB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
PCheese said:
Try installing XCode, including the CHUD tools. You'll get a hardware preference pane, from which I think you can disable a processor.

I've never used XCode or CHUD before. Can you give any instruction on how to do this? I found a Processor preference in System Preferences. By choosing Single CPU will that disable the 2nd processor?

1800DOCTORB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
cbiffle said:
MacRumors folks love to blame the RAM, but keep in mind, any kernel extension is capable of causing a kernel panic from even a subtle bug.

Check what kernel extensions you have loaded (in System Profiler, or using the 'kextstat' command in Terminal) and check for anything not starting with com.apple. Consider unloading any such extensions before proceeding further.

None exist that don't start with com.apple

I'm pretty sure its either a processor or the motherboard. i just have no way to prove it that I know of.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
cbiffle said:

You may be right, but I have yet to see that happen. This doesn't mean it can't, it just means that it hasn't been my experience. RAM can be very tricky at times; testing good and then failing under load, so I still suspect that it may be RAM and that should be eliminated before going into trouble shooting processors. :eek:
Having said that, bad RAM has been known to corrupt the directory, so even after you solve the RAM issue, you may still experience KP unless you repair the directory.
The next thing I would consider here is to make sure you have all the Apple Pro Software updates installed.

Then on to the usual routines, i.e. repair permissions, etc. Once you eliminate these things then you can proceed to other areas of trouble shooting. Just my 2cents. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.