Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
I need some type of program to be able to upload/delete files from my server. On my PC I use SmartFTP and really like it, can someone suggest something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Transmit. But be careful of the Synchronize.. feature. I wiped out an entire 200GB harddrive because I wasnt careful. And Transmit didnt put up a warning, nor was I able to undelete my files.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
I use RBrowserlite, largely because it's free... unlike Fetch or Transmit. I've read good things about Fugu (also free), but have never been able to get it to work. At all...

Google 'em, can't remember links.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
command line FTP!!! You don't have to download anything and you can find something similar to it on just about any computer so it's a great thing to learn.

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
mms said:
command line FTP!!! You don't have to download anything and you can find something similar to it on just about any computer so it's a great thing to learn.

Where could I find more info? Are you referring to ftp.mywebsitename.com in safari?

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Nope, I'm talking about ftp in Terminal. Safari would let you download files from an FTP server, but no upload IIRC. Open Utilities --> Terminal and type
> man ftp
without the ">" and you'll see its documentation. That's how I learned, but I'm sure someone else could direct you to a good tutorial if you'd rather do that than read a man page (and I'm aware that many people are like that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.