Software to use iSight as security camera?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MTShipp, Apr 27, 2010.

1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I have been having someone steal UPS/FedEx packages from my front door. Most recently, I lost my son's birthday present. Luckily Amazon replaced it for free but they can not do that every time.

I have a MagicMouse coming tomorrow and wonder if I can use my iMac's iSight camera to capture the culprit?

I'd like to be able to aim the iMac out the front window through a gape in the curtains and use some type of software to periodically take time lapse shots or better yet even video?

Anyone have thoughts? It needs to run from about 6:30 am until the driver usually arrives which is between 12:30-2:00 but then be available to run until I get home about 4:30.

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

3. MTShipp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the rapid response. I will go check these out.

4. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

One option is to call UPS and Fedex and tell them you want your address flagged for signature service. This will force all deliveries to be signed for by someone over 18.

The other thing you can do is (I'm not sure about UPS), but Fedex has both Ground and Home delivery. Ground is specifically for business hours, where is home is for residential delivery. (up until 8pm) You can also notify them when you will be home to accept deliveries.

Just tell them what is going on with someone lifting the deliveries. Sometimes they'll be accommodating. (and hopefully it's not the driver just being dishonest and taking the stuff, we actually had a problem with that once at work)

--rob

5. MTShipp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Rob. If these camera options fail, I'll check into your suggestions. Part of me hopes to catch someone...;)