Software transfer - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amk, Mar 18, 2011.

1. amk macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about purchasing a new MacBook Pro, but one of my concerns is what to do about installing software onto the new computer. I have several programs that I no longer have installation disks for, etc. Is it possible to transfer these software programs to the new laptop? If so, how does one go about doing this?

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Run migration assistant when starting up the new machine, then connect them together with a FireWire or Ethernet cable. You can also use a TimeMachine backup to transfer everything to the new one.

3. Mrawr macrumors member

Is it possible to transfer only a specific program from a Time Machine backup instead of the whole deal? (i.e. transfer just my copy of CS3 that I no longer have the disk for)

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm considering a hard drive replacement for my 2006 MBP, but would rather just transfer things a la carte as to not load up the new drive with unnecessary junk that needs to be cleaned out. (I don't mean to hijack your thread :eek: )

4. amk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm also interested in this scenario. For example, I have an old version of iPhoto on my current laptop. If I use the migration assistant or Time Machine option, will the old version override the newer, pre-installed version on the new computer?