Software Unlocking and Restoring in iTunes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by the1payday, May 15, 2008.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I've been considering unlocking my iPhone to sell on Ebay before the new 3G iPhone comes out. I've seen unlocked 8GB phones going for as high as $550-$600! I've no newbie to unlocking as I was unlocked and jailbroken for about 3 weeks after the iPhones release, but I've kind of forgotten some things. Is there any current software unlocking methods out right now (independence, pwnage, iliberty, etc) that could withstand an iTunes restore on the phone? This is for SIM unlocking by the way. I just don't want an angry buyer on ebay if I sell the phone and they later have to do a restore for whatever reason and are no longer unlocked to their respective carrier. Thanks.

2. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I new this was going to happen. I sold my iPhone on eBay locked back in March. It took 1 hour and I sold it for $300. I took the money and ran. Once the 3G iPhone is released these phones old phones won't be worth more than $150... You need to put it on eBay as soon as you can. If they are buying it on eBay, believe me, they will probably unlock it themselves...;)

3. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

So does anybody have any ideas of if there are any unlocking methods that will withstand a restore?

4. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that if you use Bootneuter to unlock it, then restore it to a regular firmware then it will be unlocked. But don't quote me on it, I'm just theorizing it.

You could also use the pwnage tool to create a simple firmware that just activates and restore with that.

But if you are talking in the case of if you sell the phone and the new guy gets it and accidentally hits restore, well it's not your fault. He should research his stuff before spending $500 on something. Otherwise just give them a note telling him what to do if he needs to restore or something.