Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Hey folks,

The linked file did restore my thunderbolt ethernet adapter, but you can't just install it as it is --- since the version number is lower than the broken version, OS X will simply ignore it. I had to take a few extra steps to make it work.

1) Disable system integrity protection as described in this article:
http://www.imore.com/el-capitan-system-integrity-protection-helps-keep-malware-away
2) Once you reboot, open a terminal window and move the broken version out of the way with the following commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo mv AppleKextExcludeList.kext ~ (this will move it to your user's home directory, just in case. enter your login password when prompted.)

Now that that's done, install the package from the linked file and reboot. When I did that my thunderbolt adapter started working again, no reconfiguration required.

If everything's working, you can clean up as follows:
1) Open a terminal window again, and type "sudo rm ~/AppleKextExcludeList.kext" (and enter your password again if needed)
2) Reboot into the recovery console and re-enable system integrity protection as described in the above article.

Hope this helps.
Worked for me as well. I officially nominate you for sainthood. Glad folks are willing to share their expertise! Thanks.
Apple now has a more recent update file, so disabling SIP is no longer necessary, but you're still da bomb.

NZBred

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
Apple has now released a version 3.28.2 that will install over the bad extension.
The link here from post 37 is that update: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...n0573nt31ifb45/AppleKextExcludeList_10_11.pkg
[doublepost=1456627612][/doublepost]Hi, thanks so much. Spent 90 minutes on other sites trying to find out why 'ethernet' had disappeared from my Network Setting list. When I went into hardware/software list on Mac, showed that Ethernet 'AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext' file had had been disabled. Finally found my way here and to:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...n0573nt31ifb45/AppleKextExcludeList_10_11.pkg
- Downloaded
- Installed
- Rebooted

Yay. Working again

devbert

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
Signed up to thank you guys for posting this, literally spent all day trying to get this fixed until I found this thread!

I was working this morning for 2 hours (27'' iMac Mid 2011) when suddenly Internet stopped working. Not too surprising, I use some Asoka Pluglink's because of the bad WiFi in my building makes it impossible to get a solid signal in my room. Typically when the Internet drops like that it's an IP Address conflict and I just need to power cycle one of them to get a new IP and then it starts working again (takes 2 minutes, annoying but simple to fix and only happens once a month).

This was strange though, nothing worked to fix it, tried everything I could think of and eventually had AT&T Uverse come and send a tech thinking that if my Ethernet Port wasn't fried (would seem kind of random, especially when I was working on it and there were no issues) that it was likely an issue with the Pluglink's. He replaced them with newer ones but they still had the issue; he went out to his car as a last ditch effort to upgrade my Cable Modem to a new 5.0 GHZ one, thinking he could at least boost my WIFI considerably and maybe make the hardline redundant.

While he went to get the new modem I had been searching through my phone for related threads with different keyword string searches trying to get some info (basically how I've troubleshot computers my entire life) and found this thread and knew the advice was gold!

Thanks a million to everyone for contributing to help work through this fix, incredibly frustrating and definitely wants to make you vent at Apple for essentially damaging our machines with a software update and causing endless reboots/reinstalls/tech support calls. But at least I got new 5.0 GHZ modem out of it, tech was super-cool and didn't charge me for the visit - since he did help with the WiFi it technically was "their" issue :) WiFi signal is much, much better on 5.0 GHZ, if anyone is having issues with WiFi in their building on a 2.4 GHZ modem I highly recommend making the switch ASAP.

Last edited:

nzbsgfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
This software update was pushed via the silent "security updates" to my iMac today:

031-51913 | Incompatible Kernel Extension Configuration Data 3.28.1

After rebooting my ethernet didn't work. Turns out that it added an exclusion for the stock
AppleBCM5701Ethernet driver! This breaks ethernet and you have to use WiFi to get online.

I rolled the exclusion list back to the last version in my Time Machine backup to fix it, but this required booting from a recovery partition and was a huge pain in the butt, not to mention the time wasted finding the problem.

I highly suggest running:

softwareupdate --schedule off

as root to prevent automatic updates until Apple rolls back this bad update. Hopefully they did so already!

Looks like my 27" iMac (Late 2009) also lost it's Ethernet port today. Standard PRAM resets no-go. I'm hoping Apple will see the complaints and address the issue.

Thanks for posting the latest issue - this thread goes back a while, and it's nice to know it's most likely not a hardware issue.

Update - applied KEXT file and my ethernet port is up again - a big thanks to all that highlighted this thread

Last edited:

Ronm01

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
I discovered the same issue last night. Tried many different troubleshooting efforts, as mentioned above. Then I called Apple Support, they were unaware of issue internally. They tried to fix, but we're unable to fix. I reinstalled El Capitan over El Capitan. Then I created a new location, applied, then it was resolved. I put about 6 hours into resolving. Hope this helps!

Earlier today (Saturday, 02,27,16) encountered the same issue. Called Apple support. Tech suggested reinstall of El Capitan. Issue resolved with no data loss.

Last edited:

mikew2

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Hey folks,

The linked file did restore my thunderbolt ethernet adapter, but you can't just install it as it is --- since the version number is lower than the broken version, OS X will simply ignore it. I had to take a few extra steps to make it work.

http://www.imore.com/el-capitan-system-integrity-protection-helps-keep-malware-away
2) Once you reboot, open a terminal window and move the broken version out of the way with the following commands:

sudo mv AppleKextExcludeList.kext ~ (this will move it to your user's home directory, just in case. enter your login password when prompted.)

Now that that's done, install the package from the linked file and reboot. When I did that my thunderbolt adapter started working again, no reconfiguration required.

1) Open a terminal window again, and type "sudo rm ~/AppleKextExcludeList.kext" (and enter your password again if needed)
2) Reboot into the recovery console and re-enable system integrity protection as described in the above article.

Hope this helps.
[doublepost=1456654655][/doublepost]Same problem with this sneaky dud update from Apple.

Luckily, I spent quite some time checking the cables, then booted from another image, and the Mac-Mini worked fine. Took some time to find this thread, during which I started to restore El Crapitan from the network - at least the recovery stack wasn't affected as well, as I have no wifi reaching this Mac. 157 hours download time predited!
Killed this idiocy the next morning and followed the procedure here, but immediately hit a snag - the title bar in the recovery utilities did not appear on the screen, as I normally need to underscan with my monitor, but luckily groping at the top of the screen revealed the Terminal link.
The steps described here worked flawlessly.

I am sick of being directed to a kiddies' sweet shop every time I try to get an update from apple, sick of having to log in to do so. Outraged that Apple can sneak in crap under the radar.

I hope Apple apologises to its poor users for the millions of hours they may have lost, never mind the worry.

lab83

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Hey folks,

Hope this helps.

I can confirm this working for me, on iMac 27 2013 late :) thanks

RobTexas

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Apple has removed this problematic update and reposted version 3.26.
You can download the 3.26 installer here:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...1zfy5lkrw3v1oe/AppleKextExcludeList_10_11.pkg

I don't know if this will overwrite the problematic file or not, but it seems like it's worth a try.

Thank you! This mess happened around the same time I was moving my iMac and unplugging cables. I thought I had jacked up the pins or zapped the Eth port. Great timing, but at least it is working now.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Real pain in the ass without wi-fi.
I bought a new cable, called Time Warner, tried everything. Luckily I have this computer at work to do research. Thank you to everyone's input.
I'm still going to let Time Warner hook me up to a wi-fi network as a back up but I'm sensitive to wi-fi and really don't want a cable modem that has an antennae unless it can be shut off completely when wi-fi is not needed and I don't think that's possible.
Maybe I can just have them install the wireless modem to do the update and then have him put the regular modem back.

Apple should be horse whipped for this. How the hell do you disable your own freaking drivers!

Reactions: Morod

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 0.48.39.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 0.48.39.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 444
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 0.48.55.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 0.48.55.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 0.49.09.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 0.49.09.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 323

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
I discovered the same issue last night. Tried many different troubleshooting efforts, as mentioned above. Then I called Apple Support, they were unaware of issue internally. They tried to fix, but we're unable to fix. I reinstalled El Capitan over El Capitan. Then I created a new location, applied, then it was resolved. I put about 6 hours into resolving. Hope this helps!
____________ Apple created this problem...(I have it too) and they have an obligation to fix it...SIX hours is nuts.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.