Software update can't find the update server??? - macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miley4ever92, Feb 9, 2011.

1. miley4ever92 macrumors newbie

Whenever I try to update my software I get this message "software update can't find the update server"
    I connect to the internet wirelessly and there is nothing wrong with me accessing the internet.
    The only reason I can think of is that my computer was originally my school laptop and it worked at school (to software update) but now that I have finished school it doesn't work at home. My location is sent to home but my school preferences are still there...Once I go through the network diagnostics (which fails) it says "network diagnostics was not able to connect to the internet but not to the server "update.schoolname......". This could be caused by problems with the server, or an internet problem between this computer and the server.
    I have tried googling answers but can't find any that have worked :(
    thank you!!!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The update server is probably not accessible from the outside world. You'll likely have to be on your school network to access it.

3. miley4ever92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well is there anyway I can change this?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sounds like a school tech set the system to check for updates only from an approved distribution server on campus. Try the last Terminal command within this article.

5. Swookian123, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Swookian123 macrumors newbie

Article! Y u no appear?!

What article:( It leads to the homepage. Please post the exact URL without shortening it. I NEED THAT ARTICLE I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!! Sorry for yelling but I have spent the last 2 hours looking for a solution and I'm starting to get a headache...

JUST FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!! USE THIS URL AND DOWNLOAD THE FILE IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18059/software-update-enabler

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Apple has re-designed their support page since I posted that link. I found a MacRumors post dealing with the same issue, with the relevant Terminal command listed.