Software Update Can't Find the Update Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kryszrich, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kryszrich macrumors member

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try changing your Location from the Apple in the top left.

3. kryszrich thread starter macrumors member

and i get this after running network diagnostic

[​IMG]

4. kryszrich thread starter macrumors member

i don't understand

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

What sort of internet connection do you have?
    Are you behind a corporate firewall?
    If this is a home machine, what router are you using?

6. kryszrich thread starter macrumors member

THis is just a home setup. I am setup for wireless. Router is a basic cisco router i think. It worked before, but today I have been messing with the PCs in my house to set up a network printer. I managed to get one to work and this Imac. Maybe when trying to get the third one to work (which i haven't been able to), i messed something up. I don't undertand why everything shows up fine except for "Server:Failed"...I don't know what that means when everything is fine and just that is messed up.

In setting up the network printer, did i get stuck behind a firewall from another computer? They are all turned off right now. not sure if that means anything.

Is there anything i can do? like fixing permissions? I'm new to the mac world. I'm not sure what else is affected by this problem...or if it jsut the Update. Maybe the problem is with my internet provider...or apple website? is that a possibility?

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It sounds like you've gotten your network settings screwed up somewhere, but it's pretty much impossible to diagnose from this distance. I very much doubt it's the Mac, and software update appears to be working fine here.

To diagnose network problems, the thing to do is to start from scratch and go through your network methodically. Disconnect everything from the network but your primary machine (which I assume is the Mac), and - using a cabled ethernet connection - see if everything works. If it doesn't, then set up your router from scratch given the settings from your ISP. Next job is to add your wireless connection. Again, see if everything on the Mac works. If it doesn't, you've found your problem - maybe you've blocked a port you shouldn't have, or have set up too many levels of NAT (i.e. both your router and your WAP have NAT turned on - if so, set the wireless to bridged mode, turning off port forwarding and DHCP), or maybe you simply don't have your firewall or DNS set up correctly. From there on in, just add one extra item at a time and check that everything is okay before moving on. The thing is to take your time, and try not to change multiple things at once.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but without knowing EXACTLY how you have everything set up, I really can't guess at what the problem is.

8. The iDocktor macrumors newbie

Solution? :)

Hey, I don't know if you've already solved your problem or not, but I helped someone else today with the exact same problem pretty much.

I found the solution here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1699031&tstart=135

"HazyRigby" suggested to: "Try moving (if you'd like to replace it if this doesn't fix the problem) or deleting the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.

If that doesn't work, I'd go to Apple's downloads page and get the 10.5.4 combo updater and install that. That might fix it."

The first part worked for my client, however, he lost his dock settings and preferences I believe.
    But auto update now works.