Software Update causing constant hickup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scotts404, Feb 19, 2009.

1. scotts404 macrumors newbie

Earlier this week (2/17), I downloaded the weekly software updates. There was an update from Quicktime, a security update and something else that I can't remember.
    After the required restart, my computer (Power PC G4, 450 MHZ, OSX 10.4.11) started "hickupping" every minute or so. If I am working in any application, it bumps me to the finder. If any folders are open on the desktop, they close. when this happens, my desktop is also slightly altered. (the hard drive icon will jump to the default position)
    I have run a couple of repair utilities and fixed permissions and found only a few minor problems.
    As I write this, all my desktop icons have disappeared.
    Is there anything I can do short of system reinstall?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The symptom you are experiencing is Finder crashing and restarting constantly. It does look rather like a hickup. Without looking at some crash logs or other detail your Mac generated, it'll be hard to diagnose this. Do you have another Mac handy? If you do, try this: Shut down the crashing Mac. Connect it directly to the working Mac with a FireWire cable. Hold down Command+T on the crashing Mac after you hear the startup chime, and keep those keys pressed until the FireWire logo appears. Once that happens, the crashing Mac's internal drive will mount on the working Mac. From there, you can peruse the logs and other diagnostic info.

Once you're done browsing, unmount the drive, shut down the crashing Mac (by holding the power key down), and finally disconnect the cable. Note that all other FireWire devices must be disconnected on BOTH Macs when you do this.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

There is a problem with that specific combination of things (OS 10.4.11 and installing QT 7.6) that results in the sympton you mentioned (the finder restarting cyclically) that has the following easy cure.

In the majority of cases it can be resolved easily by looking in your System Preferences first. If there is a preference pane in the bottom section there called Stuffit AVR, opening that pane and setting it to "Off" should clear up the problem immediately (or at least after a subsequent restart).

Another preference pane I discovered that causes the same problem if you do not have Stuffit AVR is one called "Yep Folders". That one needs to be removed altogether or just disabled in the Startup Items list in the Acccounts preference pane.

Hopefully you find Stuffit AVR as that is an almost guaranteed quick fix. Good luck.