Software update didn't ask for admin password

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ventmore, Jun 19, 2010.

1. ventmore macrumors 6502

I ran software update to get iTunes 9.2, and the 10.6.4 update. I clicked to install both updates which it did after asking for confirmation, but it didn't ask me for my admin password. Do some updates not require a password?

Cheers
    Ventmore

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

You aren't running as root are you? (bad idea if you are, BTW)

3. ventmore thread starter macrumors 6502

No......I do run as admin though :)

4. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

I'm running as a Standard User. Everytime I go the run Software Updates, it now ask me for admin password before even checking. I don't remember it always doing that. Am I just not remembering correctly?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Did it ask for password before it searched for updates? That's when it asks me for mine.

6. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

Yes, it asked me before it searched for updates. I just don't remember that on Leopard. Maybe it's a Snow Leopard feature.

7. ventmore thread starter macrumors 6502

8. 2nd4ever macrumors newbie

Likewise.

Thought I was nuts as installation immediately took off without a password prompt. Figured it was a short-term memory thing until I saw this.

9. ventmore thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replying mate...at least I know it wasn't just me.

I know what you mean......I doubted myself a little too......like maybe I'd just tapped my password in without thinking :)

10. thewretched macrumors newbie

maybe it no longer asks for the password because the updates/installers are digitally signed by Apple (noticed that 'signed-icon' in the installer's window title bar when I installed the recent updates)

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

That seems to be the case since other software still asks for passwords to install things. Glad I found this thread via mroogle; I was concerned when I noticed it didn't ask for password for software update.

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

If you are a standard user than it asks you before searching for the updates and at the install.

Admins usually only get prompted at the install although not everytime... one pattern i did notice was that updates that require restarts usually prompt with password.