Software update disables alarm

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gonky, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

I got a notification that there was an update for the watch last night, couldn't run it until the watch had 50% power and was plugged in - so upon getting home in the late evening I put the watch on charge and began the software update, then went to bed.

This morning the alarm didn't go off and I was late for work, what kind of ****** design is that? Don't recall iPhone updates doing the same thing.

2. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

Did not have that issue I have three diff alarms and they are all still active after the update, I think these updates effect everyone in different ways, I had issues with Siri not working properly on the watch which has now sorted itself out!!!

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

4. Gonky thread starter macrumors regular

Gonky

I had to put my password in to complete the update, so don't leave your watch to update overnight if you have an alarm set. It won't complete the update (and therefore sound your alarms) until you put in your password, which is stupid when a) it takes so long to update which has to be on a charger for and b) the watch update is actually updated and just needs a passcode unlock to enable it.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep. I have done updates and left the device behind to finish, only to find out that the process stopped while waiting on my to do something like a password. They need to ask for the password right off the bat to make the process complete.

6. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I never leave things updating over night for exactly these types of things.

7. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

My alarm woke me up just fine after the update, but I remember there being two stages to the update: A very long stage where I could see the watch on the charger and the round progress indicator. This was going slowly, so I left it alone and checked it about 45 minutes later. When I checked it later the watch was off so I figured it completed. I took it off the charger and then it started another round progress indicator. Perhaps the first indicator was for downloading the update to the watch and the second indicator was for installing? At any rate it did not start the second routine until I removed the watch from the charger and woke it up. That stage took several minutes to complete and then the watch booted up and worked. Maybe your watch was in a similar state of not quite being done with the update?

I know it's tough when you need to wait for the watch to get to 50% charge before it will install the update, but I think the lesson here is don't rely on the watch to wake you up if you leave it to update overnight. You need to confirm that the update completes and the operating system starts up to a normal running state.

Sean