Software Update Files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TMK044, Oct 29, 2010.

1. TMK044 macrumors newbie

Hello. Does anyone know if it is possible to download the Software Update files directly from Apple? Back when I used to work on Windows machines, I'd download Service Packs and burn them to CD, so I could avoid the time it took to download them for each individual machine that I set up. I would like to do the same for OS X. After a fresh install, there's always this 600+ MB file that takes forever to download. It would make my setup tasks and disaster recovery much quicker if I had the packages on CD.

Thanks,
    --TMK.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. TMK044 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! That will probably save me some time in the future.

4. TMK044 thread starter macrumors newbie

One final question:

If I download a copy of the latest cumulative update (presently 10.6.4), will it potentially speed up the Software Update process in the future should I install a new system? Here's what I plan to do:

1.) Install OS X from the DVD.
    2.) Install the Cumulative Update (10.6.4) from CD.
    3.) Run Software Update

If they come up with a new cumulative update, am I fighting a losing battle? The specific instance in which I see some utility in this approach is in setting up systems with 10.5 on them. In the recent past I set up two, and the first update after the installation took as long (if not longer) than the installation itself.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The only time you're saving is the download time. Installation time will remain the same.