Software Update Froze - No Desktop, No Toolbar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jul 2, 2011.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

PROBLEM:
    I installed the most recent Java and Security Updates for Mac OS 10.5.8 today. While it was going, I left to go take a shower and when I returned 20 minutes later, the computer had gone to sleep on the blue screen with a spinning wheel.

I waited a few more minutes but nothing happened. I restarted the computer but it failed to get to my desktop and told me that Spotlight had quit unexpectedly. I restated again and it got to my desktop but there were no icons or a toolbar and again it told me that Spotlight had quit unexpectedly. I restarted a third time but it failed to get to the desktop.

I tried Safe Boot, but again, no desktop.

QUESTION:
    Should I do an Archive and Install or are there other less drastic maneuvers I could peruse in this situation? Thanks.

17" MacBook Pro 2008
    2.6GHz, 4GB

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can try running Disk Utility, but startup issues usually end up with reinstalling the OS or restoring from the Time Machine backup from just before the problem arises.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I ran Disk Utility and it found the hard drive to be normal. I reinstalled the OS and now its fine. That was annoying.