software update=glitchy Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Earl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Mr Earl macrumors newbie

(on a 2007 macbook with a recent upgrade to a 500g hardrive)

I did the most recent update and now Safari wont launch.

I think I might have blew it by allowing the machine to restart just using the battery power. The battery was over 90% during the entire restart.

Firefox and Chrome start fine, though the computer overall seems slower and glitchy.

Is there a way to redo the update?

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Don't worry about this, the warning about running updates on battery power is to make sure the computer doesn't shut down abruptly during the update, which could cause problems.

You could try moving Safari.app to the trash and re-installing it. You can download it again here.

3. Mr Earl thread starter macrumors newbie

I gave that a try.
    Trouble is I'm still running 10.5.8 and the new Safari says I need 10.6 minimum. So then I tried to re-install an older version of safari, but the computer wouldn't let me saying I already had a newer version already installed.

And during the process of all this the computer became glitchy everywhere.

I'm thinking I need to do a clean OS install.
    When I put in the new 500g hardrive I did the carboncopy clone routine. That worked fine except for after it would not allow me to partition the new drive for bootcamp.
    Now the overall operation of the OS is stumbling and quirky after doing that update. I've lost safari and cant seem to reload it.
    Firefox and Chrome still work but in a rather halting and stumbling manner.
    Dang!

I not sure what the best way of doing the clean install. I've got a time machine backup drive so I guess that hopefully will prevent loosing any of my pics and stuff.
    Any other eyedeers?

I may have to spring for some 10.6 discs for a clean install me thinks.:(