Software Update - Install and Shutdown gone?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brendon Bauer, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

What happened to the options I remember seeing in screenshots where you can select install and shutdown? That way I can leave my computer while things are installing... and come back to my computer to find it finished and not turned on. As far as I'm seeing, you have to hit install, type in your password, wait for it to download, type in your password again to install the download, wait for it to install, and then hit shutdown when the install is finished. This seems absolutely silly to me. Am I missing something?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Install and shutdown (at least the way you're describing it) is on Windows. I've never seen it on a Mac, EXCEPT in the unique instance of a SW Update requiring restart, but manually deferring the restart until a later time. Then, when the shutdown is user-initiated, a choice for Install & Restart or Install & Shutdown may present itself.

AAMOF, yesterday's SW Update for Keychain allowed just that.

3. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

I could have sworn there was an Install and Restart button beta builds. For example, here are some screen shots from the 9A410 build: http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a410/index.html

The second screen shot shows what I'm talking about.

Here's the screen shot:
    [​IMG]

Did they decide to pull this feature? This would have been really convenient...

4. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

When I did my first Leopard (Final) software update on Thursday, it allowed my to either Restart/Shutdown/Not Now....

5. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you have that option before you downloaded everything? Or did it ask you that AFTER you had downloaded the updates. The only thing I see when an update is available is one option --> Install. I've had it ask me if I want to install and shutdown after the update has downloaded, but that seems unnecessary... Why can't we choose to install and shutdown first so that we can leave the computer for awhile.
    :confused: