Software Update - Install and Shutdown gone?

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
What happened to the options I remember seeing in screenshots where you can select install and shutdown? That way I can leave my computer while things are installing... and come back to my computer to find it finished and not turned on. As far as I'm seeing, you have to hit install, type in your password, wait for it to download, type in your password again to install the download, wait for it to install, and then hit shutdown when the install is finished. This seems absolutely silly to me. Am I missing something?

JNB

macrumors 604
Install and shutdown (at least the way you're describing it) is on Windows. I've never seen it on a Mac, EXCEPT in the unique instance of a SW Update requiring restart, but manually deferring the restart until a later time. Then, when the shutdown is user-initiated, a choice for Install & Restart or Install & Shutdown may present itself.

AAMOF, yesterday's SW Update for Keychain allowed just that.

Comment

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
Did you have that option before you downloaded everything? Or did it ask you that AFTER you had downloaded the updates. The only thing I see when an update is available is one option --> Install. I've had it ask me if I want to install and shutdown after the update has downloaded, but that seems unnecessary... Why can't we choose to install and shutdown first so that we can leave the computer for awhile.
:confused:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.