Software Update - Installed Updates list

trabera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If you install updates via a direct download instead of using Software Update, is there a way to reflect that install in the "Installed Updates" list in Software Update?

I did not use Software Update to install iTunes 8.0, I downloaded it directly from the Apple site. Now I don't see it listed in the "Installed Updates" list. Is there a way to add it to that list?

-Josh

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
I have no clue but i suggest not to do that.

If you remember that you have install iTunes 8 why do you want it on Software update?

trabera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't need to have it in the Installed list. I was just surprised to find that it doesn't list it here. I mean if this is supposed to be an outlet to see all installed Apple updates, why doesn't using a direct download add to this list. I mean, that's the whole point of the list right? To see at a glance what's been installed?

-Josh

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I believe that's because iTunes 8 is new version, not an update. That's why it was only available via download, not from Software Update. Therefore, it won't show up in the list of updates, but it does appear in the software installed list, found by going to System Profiler > Software > Applications

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I don't need to have it in the Installed list. I was just surprised to find that it doesn't list it here. I mean if this is supposed to be an outlet to see all installed Apple updates, why doesn't using a direct download add to this list. I mean, that's the whole point of the list right? To see at a glance what's been installed?

-Josh
Ummm, I think the "whole point" of the Installed Updates list, which is part of Software Update, is to show what was installed by Software Update.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I downloaded it from iTunes, because it didn't appear in Software Update. Also, I had to download the HP printer driver 1.1.1 update manually, for some reason.