Software Update / Installer crashing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bkoltai9, Aug 29, 2010.

1. bkoltai9 macrumors newbie

A few days ago, I tried to install a minor update for NeoOffice (mac native OpenOffice) and the installer crashed. I figured no big deal, it's not an important update anyway.

Today I tried to install the new Google Voice and Video program (similar to Skype) and the installer crashed again.

I figured I had better to a software update because maybe I have some bad version of something. No luck, software update crashes too.

I am running Leopard 10.5.8

Here's the reports from the three attempts.

SOFTWARE UPDATE

Process: Software Update [197]
    Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/MacOS/Software Update
    Identifier: com.apple.SoftwareUpdate
    Version: ??? (???)
    Build Info: SoftwareUpdate-1820000~1
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [64]

Interval Since Last Report: 136 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 1
    Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3

Date/Time: 2010-08-29 11:42:41.969 -0500
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
    Report Version: 6
    Anonymous UUID: D90267E4-0F3A-44DC-A720-DA41C6860256

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0xCA 0xFE 0xBA 0xBE 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04

INSTALLER - Google Voice & Video

Process: Installer [185]
    Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer
    Identifier: com.apple.installer
    Build Info: Installer-2810000~1

Interval Since Last Report: 328 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 3
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2010-08-29 11:40:25.179 -0500

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0xCA 0xFE 0xBA 0xBE 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04

INSTALLER - NeoOffice 3.1.1 patch 2

Process: Installer [237]
    Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer
    Identifier: com.apple.installer
    Build Info: Installer-2810000~1

Interval Since Last Report: 332 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 1
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2010-08-29 11:48:14.349 -0500

Dyld Error Message:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0xCA 0xFE 0xBA 0xBE 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x04​

I don't really know how to read this information and I did send it to Apple. I hope this is not going to require a full reinstallation.

I want to learn anything I can about the problem and how to solve it. Please help me if you can!

Thanks.

-Benjamin

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Seems like a system library may be corrupted, which wouldn't be good.

Open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
    file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo

Please copy and post the complete output that you get.

3. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Complete Output

Last login: Sun Aug 29 12:32:14 on ttys000
    koltai:~ Koltai$ file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo (for architecture ppc64):
    koltai:~ Koltai$

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

:eek: That's the entire output of the file command? If so, that file contains two different Power PC architectures, but it says four architectures are included. What seems to be missing are the x86 binaries, which you need since your Software Update is x86.

In short, your system seems borked. :( What hardware are you running this on? It seems like you should back up your data and then Archive and Reinstall. But perhaps someone else will chime in first with a better idea ... I'd be concerned that other system files are also missing/corrupted.

5. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know why it would have Power PC architectures. I'm running an 2007 Intel MacBook Pro. The following is full system configuration screen from error log.

Model: MacBookPro3,1, BootROM MBP31.0070.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.2 GHz, 4 GB
    Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, spdisplays_pcie_device, 128 MB
    Memory Module: global_name
    AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), 1.4.16.2
    Bluetooth: Version 2.1.9f10, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
    Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
    PCI Card: pci168c,24, sppci_othernetwork, PCI Slot 5
    Serial ATA Device: FUJITSU MHY2120BH, 111.79 GB
    Parallel ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N
    USB Device: Built-in iSight, (null) mA
    USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, (null) mA
    USB Device: IR Receiver, (null) mA
    USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, (null) mA

I have no idea what has happened that messed things up. The last successful install was Adobe Shockwave 11 and was only a few weeks ago.

I wonder if it is possible that I had some kind of failure during a software update or something. I don't recall this happening, but I'm not the only user of this computer. With the three minutes of life I can get on a fully charged battery, I suspect an unplug during an update could mess everything up.

Let me know if there's any other information that would be helpful.

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

Having those PPC binaries included is OK. But not having the x86 ones is the problem. FYI, here's what I get from the file command on an Intel system running 10.5.8:

Code:
    file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo: Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo (for architecture ppc64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library ppc64
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo (for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/NetInfo.framework/Versions/A/NetInfo (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Perhaps it would be enough to download the 10.5.8 Combo updater and run that. I'd still be sure to back up user files first, just to be safe. And be sure to be running on AC power (ie, plugged into a wall outlet) while updating.

[Edit] Doh! That probably won't work so well, will it. You're likely to get the same crash. You might have to archive and reinstall the OS from your system disks.

7. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using the 'Verify Disk' button for the volume Macbook Pro in the Disk Utility with the following result:

Verifying volume “Macbook Pro”

Performing live verification.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Invalid record count
    Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.​

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

OK, your file system is borked. I strongly suggest that you backup your personal files ASAP. I'm thinking you'll need to use Disk Utility on your system disk to erase and reformat your hard drive, and then reinstall a clean copy of 10.5. :(

But perhaps someone else will chime in with a less disruptive solution.

9. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was concerned this might be my situation and there is one more element that will make this even more difficult.

The optical drive on the MacBook Pro is defunct after the laptop was runover (oops) over a year ago. The system seems to still recognize the drive, but no disc has worked in it since then.

The aluminum was crushed and the only way I was able to set it back to a somewhat normal shape was to jam a 5-in-1 carpenter/painter's tool into the slot and twist. I got it to where I could get a disc into it, but now it won't read.

I have considered replacing the drive, which seems easy enough, but I don't know if the current physical shape of the computer would allow for normal insert/eject operation.

For most optical media, I have been using an external usb DVD superdrive. I suspect somehow that this will not work for reinstalling OSX.

Perhaps a firewire external drive might work?

The final complication is the MacBook Pro came with OSX 10.4 installed (and a set of two reinstallation discs) and a separate disc to upgrade to OSX 10.5 (probably upgrade ONLY, not full install).

I will certainly back up all personal data, but I wonder if it makes sense to just leave the mac in the state it is in (which is at least functional), or mess around with a reinstallation.

Any help would be appreciated.

10. LPZ macrumors 65816

You might try using something like Disk Warrior to repair that filesystem. I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with such applications, though I've heard good things about Disk Warrior.

I've installed OS X from an external Firewire optical drive. No problem. And if you have to, you would start with your 10.4 disks and then upgrade to Leopard just as before.

Good luck.

11. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another time I tried to verify the disk using disk utility it told me it had an invalid node structure.

A google search led me to this great post, which I hoped would have some solutions, using varieties of fsck scripts.

http://devlab.ca/?p=4269

I experimented by booting in safe mode and booting through the OSX 10.5 upgrade disk that came with the Mac in an external USB DVDRAM. In that boot mode I was able to correct errors to where disk repair and disk permissions repair reported no problems.

However, when I returned to normal mode, the NetInfo.framework check you recommended was still missing the x86 binaries and the software update remained dysfunctional.

The good news is I think the USB external drive will probably work for a reinstall. I have already saved all personal files to an external drive and I may go ahead with complete erase/reinstall shortly.

Do you think there is any way to tell if the actual HD could be damaged or is on the way out?

12. LPZ macrumors 65816

You can check the SMART status of a drive using Disk Utility (in the Info window). Just click on the name of the disk (not the name of a volume on the disk) and look for S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified. If this is not what you see, then the disk is in trouble. If you see "Verified", you should probably do additional checking nonetheless. I'm not familiar with apps for this, but there have to be many options.

I'm guessing that your file system got corrupted when power was lost during an update. Hopefully the drive itself is OK.

13. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm beginning to think the drive is shot.

I have already run full erase and install using external usb DVDRAM more than once, both with the 10.4 disc and with the 10.5 disc.

Installations appear to work perfectly without a hitch. Then it reboots and never gets farther than the grey screen with the apple and the black spinning "loading" wheel.

I have tried writing all zeros to the HD from the Installer DVD disk utility, and I keep having no success actually booting a functional OSX.

Now, I have tried installing OSX 10.5 to a 16GB Corsair USB stick, and I have successfully booted from that, but it it god-awfully slow. I wonder if it would be any faster with a USB full size external HD, but I suspect that USB is the bottleneck and I don't have a firewire drive.

Currently I am making a disk image of the USB stick OSX and trying a Restore option from the disk utility, to see if I can get a functional boot utilizing the original HD.

If I have to replace the HD, I imagine it would be worthwhile to upgrade to something bigger and faster. Any idea what will or won't work in a 2007 MPB?

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'd most certainly try Disk Warrior - I had a similar situation on a non-boot disk a few months ago and it worked perfectly.

15. bkoltai9 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE

First hint of success!

I created a .dmg disk image from the Flash Drive OSX on an external drive and then used the restore function from the disk utility to turn that disk image into a functional OSX install on the internal HD.

I can boot up and use the machine at proper speed with the internal drive!

So, the big question for me is why the internal HD could not boot to the registration/setup program, but can boot to a running OSX that has already completed that process.

I am still concerned that the HD may go bonkers again in the near future, and I may have simply skirted the issue.

In the meantime, I'm back on my feet. At least I will be after several hours of reinstalling apps, and setting up the computer to something close to its former functionality.

Upgrading from 10.5 to 10.5.8? Just use software update or should I do some upgrades manually? Don't want to mess anythign up.

16. LPZ macrumors 65816

I'd download the 10.5.8 combo installer.