Software Update issue...please help..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by juanster, Apr 27, 2007.

1. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

okay, i got my macbook almost a month ago and it is my first mac i abbbbbsolutely love it i learn new things every single day.But i do have alittle problem, since i got it i don' think i have been able to update, a couple weeks ago or a week ago when the new security update was released i ran the software update and it didn't find anything it said "that my software was up to date". I went to the apple website and downloaded it manually. When i tried to install it it said that the volume did not meet the requirements for the update.what is that supposed to mean? i am lost. now with the new battery update, same thing, i ran the software update and it says that my system is up to date. what is going on? any one has an idea? by the way its a macbook C2D and i am the only user...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check your Installed Updates in System Preferences to see that they're not already done. :)

3. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

nopes,, nothing it is completely empty not even a single one...hadn't checked that though..

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Righto, well look for a file named com.apple.spotlight.plist in your Preferences folder, drag it to the Desktop and try the updater again. :)

5. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

i could not find it in the spotlight search inside system preferences but i did find it in the spotlight search in finder, (do not know if it is the same thing) i dragged it to the desktop and ran the software update and it still says "your software is up to date."

6. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

anyone has another idea of what is or may be going on?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, yeah, sorry I didn't mean System Preferences but you found it nonetheless. :)

Now, check your Receipts folder on the hard drive's Library. It should be full of PKG files. Do you have receipt (PKG) files for recent updates such as SecUpd2007-004Ti.pkg? These are the files Software Update checks against before updating your machine.

8. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

hey thanks for all your help by teh way, but no in my receipts folder, i do not have the pkg you are talking about,, the secupdt2007....or anything like it...

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, one last attempt. :eek:

In the Software Update menu, press Reset Ignored Updates and then run it again. Pressing DELETE whilst an update is selected will set it to be ignored from then on. Also, try manually reinstalling the 10.4.9 combo update.

10. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

i find this really weird, i downloaded the battery update directly from the apple website and it downloaded properly, but when i tried to install it it says that this update does not contain support for the system language..
    i have xslimmer and i have run it a couple of times i think it deletes some of the languages, could this be why it not upgrading ither things? liek i said, i tried downloading the security update and it said the volume did not meet the requirements...

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could be related. Does it let you manually install the 10.4.9 update? Also, if it is language related then you might need an Archive & Install. :eek: