Software Update Issue - Unable to Open

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rick3000, Feb 8, 2009.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Hi,
    I have a weird problem with software update. When I try to use Software Update it downloads the file but will not open, and shows me the error message, "Update can't be installed - Software Update could not expand the package correctly.". This happened the first time a week ago and I thought was an isolated event, but it is happening again, so obviously there is a problem with Software Update. If I download it from Apple through Safari it works. Does anyone have a solution or fix?
    Thanks!

2. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Just a thought . . . ;^)

Umm, if it works, then use Safari? ;^) Better yet, don't use Software
    Update - just download the files yourself, and install them when you want.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Somehow, your Software Update downloads are becoming corrupted. One possible cause of this is bad caches, which is extremely easy to fix. Go into your home folder, then Library, then Caches. You'll see a bunch of folders in here - the ones you want have Software Update or SoftwareUpdate in their names. Delete these.

4. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Deleting the cache didn't work. Any other ideas? Thanks!

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Another common cause of Software Update issues is funky permissions on the folders it needs to work with. This issue can be fixed in Disk Utility - select the disk you're booted from then click the Repair Permissions button. The process might take a few minutes to complete but it'll find and fix any permission problems.

6. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I've already tried that. I think the only solution might be to reinstall Leopard.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm having the same issue. Anyone with a solution yet? Software update downloads the files, but then won't expand them. It happens with any update since about a month ago. I've manually updated several, but it would be nice to fix this and have Software Update do it automatically.

Here's the error message:

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat