Software Update Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Camacorn, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Camacorn macrumors member

Camacorn

Don't get me wrong, I know there aren't any updates being made for these old machines, but I really didn't want to have to manually update apps like Quicktime, and iTunes. So I decided to pop open Software Update, and to my surprise, it does not do anything. The progress bar gets stuck at the beginning, and never moves.

I decided to give this a shot on two other PowerPC machines of mine, running Tiger, and Leopard, and I get the same result.

Did Apple change something that prevents these machines from talking to their servers, or am I the only one having this issue? Just curious.

PS: I did not want to make the image to small to see, so you can view it by clicking the link.

Software Update on my PowerMac G4 MDD: http://snipr.me/images/ss010917.png

Thanks!

2. AL1630, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018

AL1630 macrumors regular

AL1630

I just ran software update on my G4 Server (Running Tiger) and it worked fine. I reinstalled a couple weeks ago and apparently didn't get all the updates, because it's downloading some right now. I'm not sure what could be causing this for you though.

Edit: I just ran it on my iBook G4 and TiBook (Both running Leopard) and it ran all the way through on both.

3. charlieT macrumors newbie

I just had exactly the same problem, tryin to update Leopard on a TI book. Did the same install a few days ago and worked fine.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Tried Software Update on an eMac, running 10.5.8.
    It ran just fine. No changes to response, as far as I can tell.

I will occasionally re-run the last combo updater. That may be something that can fix some minor issues that happen on an older OS X system. That might fix what's happening on one Mac, but I don't know if that would account for the same problem with Software Update on your other old Macs (?)

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

OP, did you install Leopard WebKit? I had installed it once along with the updated certificates and whatnot, and it broke Software Update, using Installers to install new apps, and some other stuff. It completely prevented Software Update from loading all the way, and all Installers fail to open or fail to install.

6. charlieT macrumors newbie

I just tried mine again, same thing. This is a brand new installation, brand new hard drive, installed 10.5.6 off the DVD, then went right to update. Progress bar is stuck at the exact same spot as the OP.

And... just checked update on my PB12", already at 10.5.8, and it ran fine. So it seems OP and I just ran into an identical problem at the same time. One thing I forgot to mention is I did a migration from the old Tiger installation just prior to trying the update. I think I'll redo the install from the beginning.

7. Camacorn thread starter macrumors member

Camacorn

I have not installed Leopard Webkit. This (besides a few productivity apps) is a clean install of Leopard + 10.5.8 Combo Update. Just got this, as well as my Quicksilver, on Saturday. I have 4 PPC machines, and they all do the same, whether on 10.4.11 Tiger, or 10.5.8 Leopard.

I had to manually download the combo updates, simply because Software Update hangs at the beginning. I know it's not a big deal for unsupported machines, but it is still an issue I'd like to try and solve.

EDIT: I should note that the Tiger + Leopard installs are all clean installs.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I would suggest downloading and installing the 10.5.8 combo updater. That will (probably) fix that update issue.

Is there anything unusual about your internet connection? (Proxy server, piggyback connection like a network connection through an iPhone, etc)

9. Camacorn thread starter macrumors member

Camacorn

Even though I am already running 10.5.8? Also there is nothing unusual about the network, it was actually the first thing I went over, just to be on the safe side. Also not speed related, I get over 100mbit/s download speeds.

10. charlieT macrumors newbie

Solved my problem. I had two admin accounts, the one from the installation and the other from the migration. I was trying to do the update logged into the first account, didn't work. Logged out of that one and into the migrated account and it worked fine. Apparently I've never done it just that way before, and I've done a ton of these. First time for everything.

11. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

No problems at all updating Tiger and Leopard in December 2017. Although I downloaded most of the updates manually to save them (just in case).
    I guess it is macintosh garden that already has a pack for tiger.