Software Update killed my applications

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DrBen, Apr 9, 2011.

1. DrBen macrumors newbie

Hi, I've just run into a very peculiar problem. I have a MacBook Pro 2GHz Intel Core i7.

A few minutes ago I ran Software Update, now I'm on OS 10.6.7. Not entirely sure which version of 10.6 I had before.

I have a habit of keeping my Applications folder organised by putting applications into different subfolders. Until now Software Update annoyingly dropped updated applications in the main application folder, but I could just swap them with the old ones.

Now what happened this time is that most of the updated apps appeared with a generic application icon and several crucial ones are not working. Apps without icon are: Address Book, App Store, Dashboard, FaceTime, Front Row, iCal, Mail, Time Machine.

I don't use all of them but Address Book, Mail and iCal are not working or behaving erratically, and they are crucial for me. The old version of Mail wouldn't open any more either, it is incompatible with this system.

Is there any way I could fix this save for a complete reinstall?

Thanks for any help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is your problem. Don't move apps, as some may not run or update properly if moved.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Use your backup to go back to when things were OK and move those applications back where they should be, and make sure they work OK. Then try the update again.

I know some applications work from other locations than the Applications Folder, but many do not, especially if they are moved AFTER installation. Other files need to know where to find the applications and you probably messed with that.

If you feel the need to "organize" your applications try using launcher utilities, or use a dummy application folder with a mess of aliases.

Rob

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Good advice above. Yet, some people long for the good old days when the Mac didn't tell you how to do things or where to put them. Or maybe I just didn't encounter such things in OS9. But, since jumping to Leopard, I've left things where the Cat put them. It's much easier that way. I do change names of Apps, adding the version. But, before I download an update, I remove that.