Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickinHK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Dear all,

This morning I performed a 'Software Update' on my Macbook Pro and 6 new items were updated. The Mac then asked me to restart so I did but when it came back on I logged in as normal but it won't connect to my wifi unless I type in the password.

I've tried Utilities > keychain manager but all I get is 'Access to this item is restricted' (when I click on show password and login again)

My ipad and iphone are still okay and can access the wifi fine.

Any ideas on what to do?

Many thanks in advance,

Rick

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Your admin/account password does not work in Keychain or even entering it does not work and get you that message?

Can you re-enter the password after you have deleted the network from the "preferred networks" list in System Preferences > AirPort > Advanced > AirPort?

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
If you have access to your router's console, you should be able to retrieve it from there. I don't have the devices but can you not retrieve the password from your iPhone or iPad?

RickinHK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I login in as normal with my admin password and everything is fine but then I get the "None of your preferred networks are avaliable". Underneath is my home wifi with the padlock next to it.

I click on it and it asks for my wifi password (something like 12eq4d157 ... It's written down somewhere on a scrap of paper that I'm desperately looking for).

When I first bought my ipad and I wanted to connect to the wifi I remember using keychain access to see the password once again, clicked show password and typed in my admin password as normal and volia, there it was and I was able to connect my ipad to my wifi.

Remembering this I tried again, sure enough, under Category: Passwords is my wifi (Airport network password). I click on it and then show password and I get prompted for my admin login. I type and wait ... 'Access to this item is restricted'

boo ...

Still hunting for that bl*&%y paper.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Done it!

I got all that Access restricted stuff but managed to get it sorted.

Here's what I did.

Go to keychain access window,
Click on Edit > Keychain List
Check the 'login' box (leave 'System' checked) then 'OK'
Log out and log back in to pick up the permissions.

Go back to keychain access, type in your password and now try to show your password. This should do the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.