Software update messed up my phone. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LizzieAnstiss, Sep 20, 2010.

1. LizzieAnstiss macrumors newbie

Someone please help!

I realise that there is probably already a post about this but I can't find it.

Right, so I have an iPhone 3G that I bought from a friend. He was on Orange and so I had to have the phone jailbroken to enable my O2 sim to work. Then someone recommended that I update my software to the last version (obviously didn't know it was an unlocked phone), and when I did, it undid the jailbreak.

So I took it to an O2 shop, who couldn't help me, and then to an Orange shop, who reverted my phone the the software before the latest one (sorry I'm not being specific, I can't remember what they were), and then they recommended I went to get it unlocked again. But they apparently don't have the jailbreak code for that version yet.

So I took it back to Orange and explained, and they told me to download the iPhone software 3.1.3, restore my phone, and then download Black Ra1n. Restoring it to 3.1.3 worked, but the phone still needed to be unlocked, and none of the unlocking tools I looked for on the internet worked.

So I tried to do this again, and now the phone has reverted to the 'connect to iTunes' screen and I can't seem to get even my normal phone back, let alone the jailbreak.

I really need this sorted asap!

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You never update or restore a JB and unlocked iphone to official firmware thru itunes.
    It will always lock back again.
    If you restored/updated it any time after Sep 8th then you cannot unlock it now untill a new unlock is released for the latest baseband.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but if his baseband has been updated with the 4.1 firmware he still wont be able to unlock it. Just Jailbreak.
    The new baseband 2.10.04 is not yet supported by Ultrasn0w.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I did not check the baseband but I did JB & Unlock 3 3g iPhones last week that were 4.1 & 4.02

6. LizzieAnstiss thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the iClarified thing, but whenever I change the firmware, it doesn't restore my phone because I get a screen saying 'The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported'

I really don't have a clue what I can do, about from switching to an Orange network, which doesn't have as good rates :\

Thanks for your help though!!

Oh and by the way, I'm a she, not a he :p :)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4.0.1 and 4.0.2 yes but there is no unlock for the latest 4.1 baseband so it's not possible to unlock those.

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well now I know you are not in the states. in the US you would have to put a sim in from AT&T to activate. you would need to find out what cell company that iPhone is locked to and use a sim from them to activate. but as AppleJuice said you wont be able to unlock until the new release is out. but look in cydia in manage and then sources and then install ultrasnow and see if that will work for you. I have had success backing up the firmware on 3g's lately and it may work for you.

9. LizzieAnstiss thread starter macrumors newbie

So the best way to do it is to move phone companies temporarily? How long do jailbreaks tend to take to come out?

Thanks for your help guys :)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There should be a jb soon but unlocks don't come as often in order to use it on unofficial carrier.