Software Update not Updating

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PYR0M310N, Sep 9, 2007.

1. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I tried to update to OS 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.4.1 today by use of the software update. It came up with a message saying that it did not find any new software and my software was all up to date. This is certainly not true.

So i download it from Apple's download page. When i launch the iTunes installer it comes up with a message saying that my lanuage i'm using is not supported by this version, which is also not true as i'm using English.

Next i try to install the OSX update. This is also unsuccessful but because i get to the page where you select which drive to install on, it says that my mac doesn't reach the minimum requirements which also isn't true.

I'm running OS10.4.9 on a G5 PPC

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you used any apps like Monolingual to get rid of system languages or files? :)

3. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Yes i have but this has never being a problem in the past

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, what exactly did you use and what exactly did you get rid of? :)

5. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I used monolingual and kept English, Spanish and a few others.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well maybe do a quick Archive & Install to get the system files back before updating again.

7. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I'm less fussed about the iTunes update, as i don't have an iPhone and probably won't have the budget when they come out here in the UK to get one.

So my main concern is the OS10.4.10 update. Is there a way that using a programme like Pacifist i could reinstall Software Update or is this included in Finder?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think Software Update is the problem. To test, you could manually download the 10.4.10 combo update and install it from the DMG. My guess is you'll run into the same error.

9. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Yeah, i already tried this, and this is where the problem occured. To clarify, it doesn't automatically recognise the update and simply says there is no available software even though i know there is one for OSX (which is the only one i am really interested in), iTunes and Quicktime, possibly others too.

10. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ok, I just gotta ask ... why would you blur our the size of the disk or the amount of space free ??? I can understand blurring out the name of the drive ... but seriously.

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

OS X is sending information to the Apple server, and the Apple server is responding to what it's told.

The problem is with what's been sent, or not being sent across at your end. Monolingual has screwed something up.

You could have to reinstall OS X :-(

12. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

OK, i might try an archieve and update this weekend then.

13. PYR0M310N thread starter macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I recently discovered the reason that this failed to work was to do with the fact i had installed the Russian install for photo booth, to fix a problem with it (which apple still hasn't sorted out). I don't know if you can get rid of this without doing a complete reinstall, but i did and has worked fine