Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shamb0lic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Hi, i am currently using OSX Version 10.6.8 on my MacBook. I opened iTunes the other day to get told there was an update available (iTunes 10.6) so i clicked the button to download it. This obviously opened up 'Software Update' and it stated to search only to respond by telling me there are no updates available. Now i was expecting an update for Safari, iPhoto and iTunes.

So today i tried to search again by clicking the Apple logo then Software Update. After 45 mins or so of one search it came back with no available update, when clearly there are.

I wondered if anyone else has or is experiencing this problem and also if anyone has managed to fix/figure out a solution??

Shamb0lic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Software Update works for me on 10.6.8. Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?
You could also just download updates from here and here.

In the time between your reply and now i created a temporary account and did attempted a Software Update. It just took that long to just say there are no available updates. Was working beforehand but now doesnt. Can't understand why it take so long to do one search (40 mins, stable and speedy internet connection) and then why it says there are no updates available.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
It's almost good to see this post! ;) It's comforting to read that I'm not alone!

Earlier this afternoon I too was reminded that there was an update for iTunes. On going to update it initially started downloading and then stopped.

Hey ho! . . . . . . .

Shamb0lic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
It's almost good to see this post! ;) It's comforting to read that I'm not alone!

Earlier this afternoon I too was reminded that there was an update for iTunes. On going to update it initially started downloading and then stopped.

Hey ho! . . . . . . .

At least it recognized in software update there was a download available and started it, mine wont even do that. Just says there is nothing to download!! :confused:

Last edited:

Shamb0lic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I got the iTunes update warning when I opened iTunes. Not Software Update. :)

My iTunes told me there was an update available but upon clicking to download the update it opened Software Update to find it, but it couldn't find it at all :-(

Shamb0lic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
No one can help? I have just had the same problem again. This time when i opened iMovie it told me an update was available via Software Update. Clicked the button to go to Software Update and once again it told me there are no updates available!! Highly frustrating now!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
We seem to be the only ones with a problem :(

When going from :apple: to Software Update, the progress bar advances a short distance and then stops - permanently...

BTW I too am running OS 10.6.8 on my Mid 2009 iMac.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Why not just go to the Apple website > support >downloads and then download the updates from there ??

That's what people used to do (in the old days !!)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Why not just go to the Apple website > support >downloads and then download the updates from there ??

That's what people used to do (in the old days !!)

That's not really the point. The fact is that something that used to work doesn't do so now. It would be interesting to know if others were having the same problem and what could be the cause/solution of the problem.

ITTIAIT

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Doing a search through other forums this seems to be a common problem for anyone with Mac OSX 10.6.8 on their computers. It's not working for me on my iMac or Macbook Pro. Iv'e gone the manual route to updating but that's a short term solution and not ideal. Software Update is there for a reason.

Davidareece

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
@John T & @ShamBolic...same issue with Windows version after the most recent update. It is definitely an update/itunes software issue. I can (as others have stated) get the updates directly from the phone or by going directly to iTunes Stores, but as you have so eloquently stated, "that's not the point." I guess we will jsut have to wait until they fix it...until then, it's really just an annoyance. :)

Shamb0lic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Actually gave up on this after my last post. A few days ago my iTunes told me there was an update available and would i like to update. Just decided to click update to see what happened and at last software update found updates for a load of my apps. Guessing it was a temporary glitch on apples servers or network. Glad to see it working again! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.