Software Update Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maddybelo, Jan 20, 2012.

1. maddybelo macrumors newbie

Hi there, I've got a little problem with Software Update.

When I open iTunes, is says:

'A new version of iTunes (10.5.3) is available. Would you like to download it now?'

I do, so I click the option 'Download iTunes' and software update pops up in the dock and a dialogue box comes up and says:

'The application “Software Update” was forced to quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?'

I click on the option 'Restore Windows' and nothing happens. Software Update doesn't open up. I went to the Force Quit window and it says that Software Update is not responding. I'm not sure why it's doing this...

I went to the apple site thinking I might not be up to date and I decided to download 'OS X Lion Update 10.7.2 Client Combo' through the site. Everything went fine until 'Installer' wouldn't open either (not responding) after I'd downloaded the program. So there's something wrong with being able to update/install new things.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and what actions I should take to see what's wrong?

Any help is much appreciated,

P.S. My laptop specs if needed are:
    (MacBook Pro, 13-inch, Mid 2009)
    Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
    Processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

2. tug macrumors 6502

have you tried repairing permissions using disc utility?

sounds like somethings messed up in your machine.

good looking mac though, looking at your specs.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This problem may be caused by a corrupted saved state for Software Update. The way to fix this is to delete the offending saved state - but, since the user-level Library folder is hidden by default, the way to do this is not at all obvious. I usually use Go To Folder... in Finder and enter ~/Library as the folder to go to.