Software Update not working

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Software Update refuses to work on my iBook G4 (10.4). I open it up, it shows me the window and the progress bar makes no progress. I have tried reinstalling OS X , and I have tried manually updating to 10.4.1 with no new results. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any idea how to fix it?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
have you tried it on different internet connections? maybe it is your internet.

and did you try possibly deleting preference for software update

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
eva01 said:
have you tried it on different internet connections? maybe it is your internet.

and did you try possibly deleting preference for software update
I have tried it on different connections, but I have not trashed the preference file. I'll try that right now. Thanks!

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
eva01 said:
do you have a separate firewall possibly that is blocking the port in which the software update connects through?
Well, here's the thing. My Power Mac has no trouble with Software Update, and it's on the same network, connected to the same AirPort Express.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
eva01 said:
welp i'm outa ideas except call apple.

sorry i couldn't help
Hey, I appreciate the attempt! I'm stumped as well, so I may end up calling Apple. I just wanted to see if anyone on these boards has dealt with anything like this before.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
firewizard said:
i just saw this right now after i posted this thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=135248
but it seems like we are having the same problem.
hopefully someone here can help us
:(
Mine's a little different. When I open Software Update, the progress bar in the sheet that says "Checking for new software" never makes any progress. It gets to about a quarter of an inch and sits there forever, almost like there's no connection. I know there's a connection, because everything else works fine, and it never tells me that there is no connection. I could leave it for a month, if I wanted to, and the progress bar would still be there, having not moved at all.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
I am very happy to report that the 10.4.2 update fixed the problem. I don't have any idea what was wrong, but it's fixed now, so I really don't care. :D
Thanks for the help, everybody.