Software Update Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GulfVetSAF, Jun 26, 2008.

1. GulfVetSAF macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

OK, here's the issue. I run software update on a regular basis. However, when I open programs (for example, this morning I opened up pages and box popped up saying there was an update available- however, when I ran software update it said all my software was up to date)?

What gives? :)

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Funk
    USMC Ret.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

3.0.1 Pages
    1.0.1 Numbers (same thing, update available)

iPhoto, iDVD and iMovie all check out... not that I'm all that concerned, I rarely use pages and never use numbers... but it's odd why the SU isn't picking those up... there may potentially be other updates that aren't being recognized.

Thanks

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I thought you might have an older version of iWork and it was asking you if you wanted to update (pay) for the newer full version.

Did you move the iWork folder to somewhere else in /Applications? You could manually download the update as well.

5. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Well, I had created folders for each app (like office, graphics and such) and had moved the actual apps into each folder (not alias) until I realized it was affecting the updates... so I moved all apps back into the apps folder individually...

iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto were all updated on that last update... hence the confusion? Simply weird- and again my main concern is that other updates may be available and SU won't be recognizing them.

Appreciate the input btw

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Well you did realize that moving the applications into other folders was causing update problems. Since you moved them back Software Update should be picking them back up again. :confused:

Remember that the iWork applications reside in /Applications/iWork '08 and not just in /Applications.

Attached Files:

7. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Ahh ha! I have no "iWork" folder... somehow I must have nicked it. Guess re-install is the best option then?

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just recreate the iWork folder with the appropriate year and move Pages, Keynote, and Numbers back into it. It's going to be iWork '08 for as well. ;)

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I have had the same problems (including not being able to update from a manual download), for that precise reason. What's weird is that my install of iWork is just as the installer left it--I didn't move or select anything other than the defaults. I just created a "iWork '08" folder off /Applications, moved them in, and SW Update picked it right up.

One less annoyance...

10. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Fixed and updated!

Funk
    USMC Ret.

11. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Is there a problem if i have other things in 08iwork folder??like some templates?Will that affect software update?

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No. Templates are perfectly okay. The application's location is what matters when it comes to Software Update.