Software Update, password authentication fails in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atakordie, Oct 28, 2007.

1. atakordie macrumors member

Just installed Leopard yesterday, can't find a thread on this anywhere.

iMac G5 2 GHz powerpc G5, 2 GB DDR SDRAM

I first noticed this when I tried to use Software Update (for the keychain update). The update shows up, but when I tell it to install the item, I get the beachball. This is presumably when the system asks for the admin password to allow the install. So, I downloaded the stand alone update from apple's site. This fails as well when (I assume) the password authentication box is supposed to appear.

Same thing happens in system prefs: I attempted to create a new user, but that failed as 'click lock to make changes' results in a beachball. Letting it sit for an hour accomplishes nothing.

I tried resetting my keychain in keychain's first aid, but had to force quit for same reason as mentioned above. Resetting the password in single user mode (following apple's site) didn't help. Resetting password via leopard disk boot doesn't work either. Any ideas? :confused: pls hlp

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Did you try repairing permissions? I just installed the update on a G4 PowerBook with 1G and it prompted for a password and d/l'd the update and I installed as I rebooted. Worked fine...

3. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

yes, several times. forgot to mention...thanks though.

4. MaLt macrumors newbie

I have the same problem

but I was able to fire up Software Update and installed the Keychain Update from Apple... I'm pretty sure it was installed because it's on the logfile of Software Update
    [​IMG]

but still I'm having problems with the Administrator account... Whenever I type my Administrator name is always say that I entered the wrong username/password...

Have you notice that my Username is labeled "STANDARD" instead of "ADMINISTRATOR"?
    [​IMG]

5. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

Mine says 'administrator' as it should. Others have had your problem of an unexpected switch from admin to standard, I think. Check this forum, there might be a solution for that bit.

Also, my SU log says the last update was for iWeb, about one month ago.

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Can you launch update or the file you d/l'd from a terminal with sudo?

7. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

I don't know. How?

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Code:
    [B]sudo open -a[/B] [I]application[/I]
    The update won't be in the path, so you'll have to fully path it.

9. Cypress macrumors newbie

Hi,

I had the same problem the upgrade downgrade my user account to standard. You will proably need to reset your administrator(root) account. This option is available if you boot from the install cd. You can then use this account to chnage your user from standard to administrator.

Hope that helps

Paul;

10. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

Well, I was able to run software update to get the keychain update. Quite simple really in terminal:

sudo softwareupdate -ia

That did it, BUT, all of the password authentication still isn't working!! 'click the lock to make changes' still hangs as before, no improvement. This also means that I cannot install new programs.

Again, I am *NOT* forced into a regular account, I am still administrator. For you all who have been switched to a regular account from admin, there is a solution for you people, go and find it.

Try http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1195737&tstart=45

11. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

What happens if you try to install using sudo in terminal? What happens if you create a new admin account- can that account install?

12. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

I don't know how to do that. I would have to create a new admin account in terminal (which I don't know how to do) because creating new accounts via system prefs isn't an option (must enter account password to 'unlock' the pane to create accounts).

13. atakordie thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved!!

It was the divx file name problem people have been having...except it took me losing finder to realize I was having the same problem (had to reboot for iTunes 7.5 update). So, to fix, I just opened terminal:

sudo mv "/Library/Application Support/DivXNetworks" "/Library/Application Support/DivXNetworks.prev"

That's it. Thanks for the replies compuwar, et al.

14. berto macrumors newbie

How To Solve Problem

This is what I did on the machine that was giving me problems:

- reboot into install cd
    - give root a password
    - reboot into system
    - login as root
    - go to System Preferences -> Accounts
    - create a new user with admin privileges (name the user something you like) ***Give the new account the same password as your old account, this way you don't have to mess with keychain inconsistencies***
    - Launch Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal
    - cd /Users
    - mv <new username> <old username>.new
    - mv <old username> <new username>
    - mv <old username>.new <old username>
    - chown -R <old username> <old username>
    - chown -R <new username> <new username>
    - logout of root
    - login to <new username> account

Above:
    - <new username> = the name of the new user account you created
    - <old username> = the name of the old user account
    - if <old username> = berto, then <old username>.new = berto.new

What the terminal commands do is swap the old and new user folders, then change the permissions so the user accounts have proper access to the folders. This way ...

... When you login to the new account, you should have your exact environment as you had it in the old user account. The new account should work with software update and anything that requires your password.

Hope this helps someone.