Software update problem??? (Macbooks)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by firstapple, Jan 13, 2008.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

OK,

I cannot figure out what has happened, but the same thing is going on with my girlfriends macbook as well. Software update is not working. Everytime I try to run it, it takes like 2 seconds, then goes to the software update screen and says Updates are ready to be installed blah blah blah... But there are no updates listed!! I found some directions on here saying to go to Library -> caches -> apple.com.softwareupdate ... and delete. I have done this but this did not fix the problem??

Any ideas?

2. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Any ideas at all?

Software updates worked fine for both of us until installing the latest MacBook update...

3. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

OK,

Not sure if I just have not posted enough information or what...

Attached is a screen shot of what the software update screen says. Like I said, this has happened to both my black macbook and my girlfriends white macbook. Software update worked great until the recent updates that came through I believe for the macbook keyboard issue.

Is anyone else with a macbook having this issue, or is everything good with yours??

Attached Files:

4. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I think it always says that, even when there are no updates. It does it with the Apple Software Update on my Windows machine also.

A bit confusing, yes. But I don't think there's any problem, which is good.

5. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

No...

When there are no updates it will say your system is up to date.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That is strange. You are correct that when there are no updates, you should get a dialog box telling you that.

Have you used the feature to "ignore" any updates? Maybe try the "Reset Ignored Updates" Option in the file menu?

I found this relating to OS X 10.2:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107136

Which seems to point to a permission issue. I don't know if it still applies to later releases, but maybe it's worth trying to "Repair Permissions" with Disk Utility?

I checked the permissions on my system with Leopard (10.5.1) and it matches the settings recommended in this document, so it might be worth checking.

Kind of strange to have it on more than one system though...

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I just tested mine and it works as normal with the popup window saying that the system is up to date

8. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

OK,

Ran disk permissions and then pushed repair permissions. Still same problem... Any other ideas? Anyone else had this happen before?

I am thinking of taking it to an apple store tomorrow if I can't figure this out.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You've got me, I would say take it into the geniuses, they might be able to find out.

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would do a "Get Info" (CMD-I) on /Library/Logs and see if the permissions match those specified in the doc from Apple. Maybe the Repair permissions doesn't cover that directory...

After that, I guess I would try the Genius Bar also...

11. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

OK, well... out of all the stupid things it could have been, seems like it may have been the internet connection!!

The second the genious bar dude started checking for updates it worked perfectly. And now I am at school, and it works here too. So it must have just been the crappy internet connection at my girlfriends apartment then...
    :rolleyes:

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You know I was going to ask you if you had tried it at another location. I wondered if that was the thing that was the same between the two computers. LOL

I would have thought you would have received some other type of error than a blank list...

Oh well, at least you have it worked out now!