Software Update question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by old-wiz, Jul 13, 2008.

1. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have gotten into the habit of waiting about a week before trying to install software updates when they come out (to hopefully avoid a mess). When I do decide to do the update, it says, for example, 5 updates, 95 mb. When I do start the update, it does it so quickly that I am trying to figure out how it managed to download 95 mb that quickly. I am wondering if Leopard (10.5.3 and 10.5.4) goes ahead and downloads the stuff but just stores it somewhere on the disk until needed. My internet connection is only 5 mb, so I can't see how it could download that much so fast. Any thoughts?

2. acxz macrumors regular

95MB on a 5Mb connection only takes a few minutes, so it's entirely possible that it has been downloaded in that time.

If you're still not sure make sure you don't have the bottom box ticked in the Software Update preferences (as I do):

[​IMG]

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I have a 5MB connection too. It doesn't take that long to download 95 MB. :)

4. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Your connection is 5 megabits per SECOND. You would be surprised how fast the bits add up over 5 minutes.

5. old-wiz thread starter macrumors G3

Downloads

Well, I checked and I do have download automatic checked. I'm still new to Leopard, having a new 24" iMac replacing a 3 year old mini. Thanks to all!