Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

"Software update server could not be contacted"

doctapeppa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Does this happen often? Im trying to restore to do a clean JB and I keep getting this error. It says to try again later but I've been trying for an hour. I hope they aren't killing 4.0.1 right now because that would suck.

doctapeppa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Well, apparently there wasn't anything wrong with Apple's servers. After doing a bit of googling it turns out that I had added an entry into my hosts file for a previous jailbreak and this was preventing itunes from communicating with the mother-ship.

All is well now.

Comment

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Hermitage, TN
Well, apparently there wasn't anything wrong with Apple's servers. After doing a bit of googling it turns out that I had added an entry into my hosts file for a previous jailbreak and this was preventing itunes from communicating with the mother-ship.

All is well now.

Can you fill me in on this?

Comment

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Can you fill me in on this?

Seriously. You ask for help, find others having the same issue, solve the issue on your own, and come back to post that you've solved said issue without posting how. Lovely.

FWIW, my iPhone 4 has never been JB.

Comment

doctapeppa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
go to /etc/hosts on Mac or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on windows and make sure you didn't add any entry there that would prevent itunes from connecting to apple.

I had added one before that would make itunes connect to Saurik's server instead of apple. I just deleted that entry, restarted networking and was able to update normally.

Sorry I didn't answer this before. I guess I missed it.

Oh. And I did say how I solved it before.. "I had added an entry into my hosts file for a previous jailbreak and this was preventing itunes from communicating with the mother-ship. "
(The obvious solution is removing the offending entry)

Comment

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Thanks.

I'm on a Mac. I've found it was using the application Umbrella (i think) that changed the hosts file for me and then found this thread in Apple Support Discussions.

However, after using Terminal several times to make the suggested changes to the file and it not fixing a thing, I found the other way to the file by navigating to Go to Folder and typing /private/etc . I couldn't see gs.apple.com until I did it this way.

As suggested by someone else, "locate hosts file, drag it out to the desktop, make changes and save file, drag it back into /private/etc and enter your admin password. Done."

This worked for me after many failed attempts and frustration.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.