"Software update server could not be contacted"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doctapeppa, Aug 4, 2010.

1. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Does this happen often? Im trying to restore to do a clean JB and I keep getting this error. It says to try again later but I've been trying for an hour. I hope they aren't killing 4.0.1 right now because that would suck.

2. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Happening to me as well. I contacted Apple and they said to try again later.

3. doctapeppa thread starter macrumors 6502

Dangit, stuff like this always happens to me when I need to do things.

4. doctapeppa thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, nothing yet

--- phobos.apple.com.akadns.net ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

5. doctapeppa thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, apparently there wasn't anything wrong with Apple's servers. After doing a bit of googling it turns out that I had added an entry into my hosts file for a previous jailbreak and this was preventing itunes from communicating with the mother-ship.

All is well now.

6. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Can you fill me in on this?

7. severe macrumors 6502a

Seriously. You ask for help, find others having the same issue, solve the issue on your own, and come back to post that you've solved said issue without posting how. Lovely.

FWIW, my iPhone 4 has never been JB.

8. doctapeppa thread starter macrumors 6502

go to /etc/hosts on Mac or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on windows and make sure you didn't add any entry there that would prevent itunes from connecting to apple.

I had added one before that would make itunes connect to Saurik's server instead of apple. I just deleted that entry, restarted networking and was able to update normally.

Sorry I didn't answer this before. I guess I missed it.

Oh. And I did say how I solved it before.. "I had added an entry into my hosts file for a previous jailbreak and this was preventing itunes from communicating with the mother-ship. "
    (The obvious solution is removing the offending entry)

9. severe macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I'm on a Mac. I've found it was using the application Umbrella (i think) that changed the hosts file for me and then found this thread in Apple Support Discussions.

However, after using Terminal several times to make the suggested changes to the file and it not fixing a thing, I found the other way to the file by navigating to Go to Folder and typing /private/etc . I couldn't see gs.apple.com until I did it this way.

As suggested by someone else, "locate hosts file, drag it out to the desktop, make changes and save file, drag it back into /private/etc and enter your admin password. Done."

This worked for me after many failed attempts and frustration.

10. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

11. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Huh? Read the thread.

12. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

go to /etc/hosts on Mac or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on windows and make sure you didn't add any entry there that would prevent itunes from connecting to apple.