Software update stuck at home

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by winterwoodcock, Mar 17, 2012.

1. winterwoodcock macrumors newbie

Hi

I could really do with some help please. We have an iMac (mid 2011), MacBook Pro (early 2011) and MacBook Air (2011) all joined into a home network. The wireless broadband provider is Orange. I have an Orange Livebox. This is ethernet cabled to an Export Extreme which extends the network. We have a Time Machine which is also connected to the network.

The only problem I am having is running the software update from each of these computers. All of them download apps and updates on iTunes and work perfectly on the internet. They are zippy and I haven't noticed any slow down in download performance EXCEPT when I click on the :apple: and choose software update. On each computer it starts and then freezes about 1cm into the bar. There is no more movement. I have left it for hours and it doesn't move.

I took the MacBook pro to work and tried the same thing. It worked normally and performed the software update as normal. I brought it home again and it froze as before.

This only started happening a week ago but it drives me mad. I can take the Pro and Air to work and update there but this seems a bit crazy and in any event the iMac is stuck at home.

I have run the repair program on each computer. There were no problems on any of them. I don't understand how I can download software updates from the Apple website (and all the iTunes stuff) but not be successful in the software update.

I really would appreciate any help on this one. Thanks for taking the time to read.

WW

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

It could be that those software updates are downloaded on another port than the rest of your downloads.. And maybe your provider is blocking that port.

I'm just speculating though.

Did you try to get the update through this page http://support.apple.com/downloads/
    instead of the "software update" program?

3. winterwoodcock thread starter macrumors newbie

I did thanks and this works without a problem! Its just a pain that I have to keep going to a website and then checking each potential new update against 3 computers.