Software update took out my raw image support...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orbdrums, Nov 25, 2011.

1. orbdrums macrumors member

I downloaded and installed an update (raw image support) back in May and ever since then I can't download pictures from my Koday Easyshare camera. Everything was working fine before the "update". When I called Apple they said that the problem was being addressed. Is there any way I can go back to the raw image support prior to my update that was working. Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I see the update you downloaded in May. There is nothing to suggest that it should prevent your camera from being recognized or imported from. Do you import via a USB cable? Does the camera work with another Mac, or a PC for that matter? Have you tried using a card reader?

3. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

It's funny because the Apple support folks asked the same questions. Yeah the camera works on another PC and no I don't want to go buy some piece of hardware because this worked just fine before the update. Apple finally admitted that they caused the problem but couldn't provide a timeline of when it would be fixed. This is real frustrating because it's the reason I left the PC world behind. Is there ANY way to go back to the raw image support that I had before the May "update"?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'm not sure if it's possible to revert to a previous version. It won't be as straightforward as downloading and installing v.3.6 because it seems all of the RAW Compatibility updates are cumulative, i.e. each update release adds compatibility for additional camera models. I suppose if you could find out where the files are written, ex. the iPhoto/Aperture applications, or maybe somewhere in the /Library folder, you could try removing the files relating to the 3.7, 3.8, and 3.9 updates? Maybe we could get input from someone else on the forums...

5. orbdrums thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your suggestions, however since I'm rather new to Mac, I could probably do more damage than good if I start messing around with system files. Image Capture and iPhoto both error out when I click on download. The computer sees the camera and the files on the camera but when I click on download the error is displayed. Image Capture doesn't give a detailed error message but iPhoto does. This is what both programs return:

Image Capture: An error occured while importing. The item ‘100_7180.JPG” was not imported.

iPhoto: The following file could not be imported. The file is in an unrecognized format.

FYI I am connecting via USB but I was connecting the same way before the download. I'm at wits end.