Software Update Won't Update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by irocknikes123, Dec 23, 2008.

1. irocknikes123 macrumors newbie

I've had this problem since I had the computer (Aluminum Macbook), ive just been putting it off. But my software update won't update big files. The Garage band 08' update thing, (not sure the full name because im trying to update to OSX 10.5.6 right now, Which has already failed twice. It seems like any big file that it tries to update it fails. Ive even tried a different router because i have 2. Any ideas?

2. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Check your hard drive space. You may have too much stuff on there.

If not I don't know what's wrong. Someone else must though.

3. irocknikes123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Are you on a download limit from your ISP? That is the only other thing I can think of.

5. irocknikes123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That might be it.
    OSX 10.5.6 downloaded fine this time.
    But it was only 377 MB.
    The garage band is like 1.2 GB.
    So it probably is that.

6. lfc200 macrumors member

Im having the exact same problem. I know its not my harddrive space and I know it is not any download limit. I have the 2.16ghz white macbook. The most recent updates for me are 10.5.6 and digital raw compatibility. I have said to install updates now asks me for my password and says restart is required as usual. I click restart now the computer goes to the normal software update procedure, finishes and then restarts when i log in again it still has not upgraded the software. Anyone else had this problem? Or know of a way to fix it?

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@ irocknikes: What Garageband '08 update is 1.2 GB? Is it the additional loops that are not pre-installed? Those can be installed from your bundled software disc (#2)

@ lfc200: if the automatic update isn't working for you, try going directly to www.apple.com/support/downloads and downloading the standalone installer.

and just for reference, Apple has an article for troubleshooting software updates and installations of the OS: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1394