Software Update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mgall08, Oct 9, 2010.

1. mgall08 macrumors newbie

I am new to Mac.

When I open my laptop occasionally it has obviously recognized updates and gives me the option to install, I click yes or ok can't remember. When I do it asks me to restart, which I do.
    When I restart it appears as if it never installed the updates?? When I go to system preferences and check to see installed updates it does not appear to be there?
    Any ideas??
    Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After you install an update, it no longer appears on the list in Software Update. That's normal.

3. mgall08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cg

Thanks, when you say it no longer appears in the list in software update, do you mean on installed software list in systems preferences? I shows a batch update that was done a few weeks ago?:confused:

4. Gata macrumors regular

The software update window :)apple:--> Software Update) only shows the items available to install, not those you have already installed.

To see what updates you've already installed, go to System Preferences, and then Software Update (under the "System" category). Then, choose the "Installed Updates" tab.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That seems to be what is described in the initial post.

How about this . . .
    Find the application you just updated, and use Get Info. Does it say the new version number?

As far as fixing the Installed Updates list, you could give this a shot:

Close System Preferences. Find the plist file for SU:
    /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
    Move that to your Desktop.
    Go back into System Preferences. This will create a new default plist file in Preferences.
    Is the list showing recent updates? If not, next time you do an update, you'll have to check if it's now showing them.
    As I've never tested this, I'm not sure it will work, but it won't hurt anything. You can always put the original file back and overwrite the new one if you want to.

I've been told you can open plist files to see what they might influence, but I've not been able to do that.

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You can open plist files with textedit but it will be an XML mess you don't want to deal with. The other option is to install developper tools, in order to get the plist editor app.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most .plist files are plain text and quite easy to edit with TextEdit.

8. mgall08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Ok I tried a few more things.

When I do software update there is a big list of updates

Safari
    Itunes
    Security
    about 10 more they are all checked off to install,

when I select install it immediately asks me to restart which I do. After putting my mac user name and password in, it begins to restart, it flashes to a screen showing the MAC HD icon almost like it is going to install but it immediately goes right by it to restart.

After restart is complete (doesn't show any updates installing, just normal start up) I go to Itunes for example and check the version, it said it was going to install ver 10, however ver 9 is still installed.

Bottom line i do not think the updates are being installed? Please help. I am a newbie to Mac

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A few more? Then tell us what the other two were.

It shouldn't do that. No, it's not even downloading anything from the sound of it.

My other suggestion, post #5, might be worth a try.

Do you have Snow Leopard? (OS 10.6.4 or 10.6.x)

If you haven't already, try downloading an update from the Apple download site, not using Software Update. What happens then?

When I double-click on one, TextEdit opens, but the window is black. If there's text, I can't see it. No, I don't have that issue for anything else. It's not a Display setting.

10. LPZ macrumors 65816

This has come up before ... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=944117

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I've discussed this issue before: TextEdit default background for .plist files. You can easily change the background to white (Format > Font > Show Fonts or Command-T), but I haven't found a way to change the default.

12. mgall08 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using 10.6

I am heading to the Genius Bar today to see if they can help.

I would have tried post #5 but like I said I am an newbie, don't know much about plist

Thanks

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's perfectly safe to try what Gregg2 suggested. When you delete a .plist file, the application or Mac OS X automatically re-creates one. It's a good way to resolve problems associated with corrupt plists.

14. gameface macrumors 6502

Just for ***** and giggles did you have your machine plugged into an ethernet cable when you were trying this? Any way you can try running software update while plugged in?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In what way do you think that would make a difference?

16. gameface macrumors 6502

It downloads the updates after starting up. If there is no connection it can't download the update. Maybe it is a problem with logging into their secure wireless network or another wi-fi issue. I could be stupid as well :p but trying all logical things before bringing it into the genius couldn't hurt.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it downloads the updates before restarting. It applies the already-downloaded update upon restart.

18. gameface macrumors 6502

Woah, you're right. What have I been smoking? Could have swore that this changed in SL... nevermind, go to the genius because I am obviously not one.

*you can see how often I use software update.