Software update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zarzar555, May 7, 2011.

1. zarzar555 macrumors newbie

zarzar555

Every time i go to update my software it says the following:The Software Update Server (Bundy-Server.local) is not responding. I have looked all over and found nothing!!! someone pls help im going nuts!:confused::confused::(:(:confused:

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

If you do one of the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
    defaults read com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
    You should get "Bundy-Server.local" back. This means that you (or someone) have set this computer to look for updates from a local server, rather than from Apple's servers. Many organizations do this, for three reasons:
    1) save on bandwidth to the outside world (this can be expensive)
    2) speed up the download of updates (since LANs are typically much faster than general internet connections)
    3) control the timing of updates, so IT has a chance to vet them before they go out

To unset this you need ONE of the following lines (in the same order as before):
    Code:
    sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
    defaults delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

3. zarzar555 thread starter macrumors newbie

zarzar555

Thanks but...

When i enterd them it said:The domain/default pair of (com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, CatalogURL) does not exist
    What now?

4. zarzar555 thread starter macrumors newbie

zarzar555

also...

It said:Check to make sure your network connection is operating normally. If there are no issues with your connection, contact your network administrator for assistance.

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

First, make sure that it says that for both versions, one after the other.

The next check is about dns, if someone is spoofing Apple's software update servers to make you look at "Bundy-Server.local", this could also happen then. I don't happen to know the address that SoftwareUpdate uses, so you will have to track that down. But in the mean time I would look at you DNS services to see if something is up there.