Software Update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brandonzar, Mar 27, 2008.

1. brandonzar macrumors regular

I'm looking to get another ipod touch (for my wife) and the less than helpful people at the student book store have no idea if the touchs they have in stock have the software update. Is there an easy way to tell by just looking at the box? Also I already bought the software update for my touch, will I have to buy it again for my wifes?
    Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

More that likely they have the update, if not, it is free from Apple for all iPod touches sold since January.

TEG

3. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

Look at the prices, I Know that the 16GB without the update is $379.00 and with the update is $399.00

4. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Software Update

I think you only get the update for free if you buy it from apple. Stores (like amazon and best buy) with existing stocks of pre-January touchs are selling them at a discounted price to compensate. I got mine from best buy in January and it wasn't updated and I had to pay for the update.

Edit: the campus bookstore has all ipods discounted for students so just looking at the price doesn't work.

5. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Just to throw in my experience, I bought a 32G last week for $472 at Circuit City. It was not at 1.1.4, but alerted me to update to 1.1.4, which then occurred without me having to pull out a credit card.

Mike

6. Alienbrain macrumors member

Alienbrain

7. tobenning macrumors member

1.1.4 is a free update. Does it have the Mail, Stocks, Maps and Weather on it? That's all at matters.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

the update is free, but to wiggle, get mail, weather, and such, wou need to pay $20, or get a post macworld ipod touch

9. phooi macrumors regular

This literally happened to me today. I received my IPT monday, updated and synced it, and was asked to pay for the Jan update. The unit was manufactured in Jan but ordered and received in March. I called Apple support and was basically told to pay for the update, no exceptions. So be careful.

10. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I think there is a way of telling by the picture on the front of the box. Older iPods without the update and newer ones with it will both have different artwork on the front of the box, the only thing is is that I can't remember what the artworks are.

11. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Yeah, mine has all of that. I was just kind of surprised that it wasn't at 1.1.4 as I figured the 32G units were new this year and Circuit City's product movement would mean they'd have more recently manufactured ones.

As for the reply in this thread that the photo on the box may be a clue, mine has John Lennon, Legend, The Very Best Of John Lennon (coincidently, one of the first CDs I loaded onto my Touch). Back of the box has 2007 as a trademark date.

Mike

12. gdbagley macrumors newbie

Another way would be to get the staff at the store to look at the model/part number, if it ends with a /B it will have the new apps, if it ends with /A it won't

13. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks that is just what I needed to know.

14. altmac macrumors member

problem updating to 1.1.4

Hi,
    I just got a new 32GB Ipod touch....and itunes prompted me to update to newer version 1.1.4...
    Problem is when trying to do that....keep on getting error 1602..."Ipod cannot be updated"....
    Any ideas why?...and how to solve it?

oops....tried some previous advices in this forums fully restored the ipod.......worked....!.it says the now version 1.1.4.....
    Sorry guys...
    Thx.

15. benningtonr macrumors newbie

Bought an 8g sat, Lennon Legend is on the front of the box. It had 1.1.3 asked me to upgrade to 1.1.4 no CC and I have the new apps.