software updated, now what folder is missing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cchart, Sep 10, 2009.

1. cchart macrumors member

Excuse my absent mind, I'm new to Mac and still learning here and there. I really should buy Time Machine. I did try searching a bit but was unable to find something. But then again, I was a bit anxious so I didn't really read or search thoroughly. Forgive me T_T

I just recently updated my software and now a folder is missing from the original 'Macintosh HD'. There were 6 folders: (Applications, Library, System, User Guides and Information, Users, ???)

Unfortunately I don't know what the other one was. It was deleted when I updated my software and can't figure out for the life of me what it was.

Yes I realize it may be part of the update from Apple itself, but I'm a bit of a worry wort and tend to cause paranoia upon myself. I feel like the folder is necessary and should be there.

- Should I be worried?
    - Was it part of the update to remove that folder?
    - How can I recover it?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, not having any sort of backup before a major OS upgrade isn't a good idea (and remember, you can use Time Machine with ANY external drive--I'm guessing you meant "buy a Time Capsule" rather than "buy Time Machine", which of course you already have).

That said, if the OS installer removed it, it was probably the Developer folder, which would contain software development tools supplied by Apple presumably not compatible with 10.6 (haven't installed said tools on 10.6 myself, so I can't tell you how to do that, but it's probably obvious on the install disc). Anything else would've been something you created, and I don't expect the installer would have messed with it (noting that almost NOTHING creates folders/files at the root level of the boot drive, so it'd almost certainly be either an Apple folder or something you made manually).

Of course, if it wasn't something you created, and you don't even know what it was, why are you getting worked up about it not being there anymore? It obviously wasn't doing anything you're missing.