Software Updater not Responding

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sargonkiadi, Jul 25, 2011.

1. sargonkiadi macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm trying to start Gimp in Rosetta mode so I can use resynthesizer-0.12 (which to those familiar with Photoshop is also called Content Aware Auto-Fill in Photoshop CS5).

[​IMG]

However, whenever I enable it and run the program, it brings up this box:

[​IMG]

To which I click Install. Much to my surprise, it brings up this box next:

[​IMG]

I believe something is wrong with my Software Update. I started investigating and found some places on this forum that suggested clearing the cashe file and also clearing what might be trying to update found in /users/username/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate and /Library/Updates respectively.

Unfortunately, I think the Software Updater is not working properly.

To test this theory, I went straight to the Software Updater to check for new downloads.

[​IMG]

Everything seemed to be working as intended.

[​IMG]

Heck, it even showed me what all needed to be updated.

[​IMG]

After hitting Install though, all dialog boxes went away and the Uploader appeared to be in a dormant / stagnant state.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So did you follow the suggestions you mentioned?

3. sargonkiadi thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sargonkiadi thread starter macrumors newbie

To give a more accurate statement of what is happening,

this guy seems to be having the same problem as me.

http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?t=109770

"After an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5 to 10.6) the "Software Update" function no longer works properly.

Initially, "Software Update" checks and finds the proper updates but when you attempt to install the updates the "Software Update" application freezes.

Anything I can do to remedy the issue?"

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And I suppose you tried updating just one application instead of all 14 at once. Could be a bug. You need 10.7.1, but then, how will you get the update??? :eek:

6. sargonkiadi thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct,

I've got to the point where I ignore every update now except for the critical one.

At first I tried to do all at once, but it prompted me with an iTunes agreement.

Also, I just checked in the office with a buddy who also is running the same exact OS as me, and she is having no problems with the Software Updater.

I'm lost, but appreciate the company at least Gregg2.

Again, if you know anything that I haven't tried, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Josh

[​IMG]

This is what happens immediately after hitting install. It sits here grayed out, then the install button lights up again in a full blue color as if nothing had happened.

[​IMG]

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You know, I misread that. Try this:

HD/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences
    com.apple.softwareupdate.plist

Move that to the Desktop and Restart.
    (I hope it has a plist file there. I'm not at my Mac.)

8. sargonkiadi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Gregg,

Thanks for checking in again. That did not solve the problem.

Is there not just a location on the internet where I can download the update? I searched everywhere but all I can find are 'solutions' about trying to fix the updater.

Again, if anyone else has any possible solutions I would be most appreciative. This is getting rather annoying.

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6 and can't get Software Updater to update!

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Download Pacifist (free) and use it to extract Software Update from your installation CD. (I guess that's not gonna work anymore, for Lion users.)

Or, before doing that, try logging in under a different user account and see if SU behaves.