Software Updates/Security

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

After the nightmare of updates when I went to 10.6.8, have there been any problematical ones of late, because I've not installed any for months, and wondered if there are any problems of late with them?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

with 10.6 updates? To my knowledge apple isn't rolling out any new updates to 10.6 and those that are out there are stable AFAIK. I have SL on my Mac Mini and its at the latest patch level - I have no problems.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I just meant all the updates for 10.6. Last time I did a bulk update it caused me a lot of problems. I see a few I've yet to download today, and just wondered if there are any I should avoid, like the latest security one.

Thanks

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Do a full backup before updating.
    If there are problems, revert to the backup.

My update to 10.6.8 was flawless. I still made a full backup first.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm guessing you mean updates to the OS itself, like 10.6.9, as opposed to updates for other software on SL, because those are still happening. I just installed some new ones yesterday.

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, I couldn't do that, because I was told once 'firmware' has been downloaded, there's no going back, and my MBP has become 10 times noisier since I went to 10.6.8. I tried everyone and everything for a revert, but I had no idea it couldn't be reverted.

Didn't know they'd gone .9 yet, no. I'm just talking about the list for software update that comes up periodically yes, and there's a list of new ones, including a new security one. Which is that java thing I think. Which I should do I guess. So much talk now about Macs not being virus proof everywhere isn't there since this latest hit.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They haven't. I was using that as an illustration.
    Yes, you should apply the updates.
    Macs have never been virus proof. There simply has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild; only trojans.

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Not virus proof, but you said basically no viruses for macs? Do the updates get rid of any that may be present?

What are the little grey squares with white triangles on the list of software updates by the way, they are only by a couple and the rest don't have them. Are they like a priority/important one?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild. No, the updates do not get rid of any malware (trojans) that may be present on your Mac.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but they may indicate importance.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Do the updates only get rid of the Flash trojan one, What do you recommend for checking for viruses/trojans, if anything is present? I see so many available but wonder if they're not more problems, and resource hogs?

When I get a list of updates, there is always a grey circle by a couple, on the left column, but only a few of them.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Software updates from Apple do not scan for malware or remove it. The security-related updates only update the ability to detect malware being introduced to your computer. If you feel the need to run a scan, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I probably got that idea because one of their last updates mentioned it got rid of that trojan everyone's been banging on about.

Thanks, I'll try that. It's not known for false scares I'm guessing. Nine times out of ten I would gather you'd know if it was infected, as something would change, other than the ones you just pass on to Win users.

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'd suggest reinstalling and instead of running software update immediately afterwards, download and install THIS. Restart your computer afterwards then go ahead and run Software update to get all of your other software up to date.

I've always had better luck with system stability installing the Combo updates manually than with the combined Delta updates from Software Update.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This isn't entirely true. Apple released the Flashback Malware Removal Tool via Software Update, which does automatically find and remove the Flashback Trojan on Snow Leopard and Lion. Other than that, of course, you only have XProtect, which checks before downloaded items are installed for the known malware in the wild.

jW

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But you have to run the removal tool. It doesn't automatically launch itself when you run Software Update.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

A gray circle with a white triangle means installing that update requires restarting the computer after installation.

Look at the bottom of the Software Update Details window. Does it show the symbol, and say "You must restart your computer after the updates are installed."? Mine does, running 10.6.8.

BTW, I see a gray circle containing a white triangle, not a gray square.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, it does. I've done this many times. Simply running Software Update is enough. After it finishes (doesn't even have to restart unless there are other updates also available to run), it will simply pop up a message if it found and removed a copy of the Flashback Malware. If it doesn't find anything, you never see a message, which might be the source of the confusion, but it's not necessary to run it manually.

jW

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting! That's why I've never seen it, because I've never had malware on any Mac. Thanks for the info!

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sure! Any time!

jW

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't run every time you run Software Update, does it? Only when SU first downloads it?

21. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

What's the difference of downloading that way instead of updates?

My mistake, yes I think it was a circle..

Thanks all for your helpful inputs

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It runs when you first download it. The Java Updates patch the hole that was used so that it can't get back on the machine via the current vulnerabilities, so there's no need for it to run again.

jW

23. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Mal, is that the last security update, or the previous one?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a much earlier update (April 13th).

25. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you have Java installed, it was part of the security updates:
    Java for OS X 2012-002 (downloaded on my machine on April 12) fixed the vulnerability.
    Java for OS X 2012-003 (downloaded on my machine... April 12) removed the malware as well.

If you didn't have Java installed, it downloaded the separate Flashback Malware Removal Tool, released April 13, which removed both the Java-based variants and the other types of Flashback Malware that have been released.

jW