Software Updates without restarting?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matkam, Mar 13, 2010.

1. matkam macrumors newbie

Before Snow Leopard, I could just force quit a Software Update after it was done to avoid restarting. Now Apple makes it so I can't even use my computer while it is being updated. How does one keep Software Update in check?

Treating me like a dumb computer user makes me seriously consider switching to Linux. I want my freedom back!

2. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

If they don't need a restart then they don't demand it. I just leave the screen open until I'm ready.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then only update system critical components when you have five minutes to spare and be away from the computer.

I didn't like the change either, but as the download process doesn't interfere with me or my current use, I can live with the five minutes it takes to install several updates at once (in succession though) and to restart.

You can even start the downloading and press the Install & Restart button when you go to the loo or the kitchen or to wherever you can go for five minutes.

PS: The five minutes is a figure I made up though, sometimes (yesterday) it took three minutes. I could barely sit down on the toilet. What a phitty system.

4. matkam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they do. They want me to restart after installing Safari now, just because they updated the WebKit framework. The point is, as a power user, I want to decide what needs a reboot. Mac OS X is a UNIX based OS after all.

I don't want to have to re setup my desktop (iTunes now playing, downloads, IM conversations, browser [Chrome] tabs). I'd rather have it update the system automatically after I want to restart it, the way Windows does. Anyways, its not a big deal, just a big nuisance because I expect more from my Mac than having to work around it.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You know, you can ignore the NOW button and press it when you have the time to do so.
    So do Unix systems don't need to restart when system critical components are updated?

Same as above.

6. matkam thread starter macrumors newbie

But I dont wanna... just update my system now and forget about it.

Correct :)
    Unix was built with high availability in mind. You can restart when you want to.

7. matkam thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention, a possible workaround is to download the updates from apple.com manually. That way you can just force quit Installer when it's done. But I like auto updates.

8. Ainze macrumors regular

Ainze

If you're that good with computers, then you should be deciding when you update your system. If you have auto-update settings active, then accept the consequences. I still haven't updated. And I won't until I'm ready.

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You don't have to force quit ... you just hit quit!

(or maybe I'm Power User, First Class)

mt

10. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

You're being a little b****. Stop whining and leave the update window open. I do not see how this is an inconvenience.

11. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Awww. It's okay! The time you took to make this thread could have been used to restart the computer.

12. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Almost all the stuff you mention that you want to happen "on bootup" you can do, with login items, applescripts, and automator.

Its not hard lol ;)

Do you want your mac to cook you some toast and make a coffee as well?

And the fact of the matter is you can use the computer while its being updated. Then at the end of the evening when your done talking to friends, listening to music, or checking emails etc etc restart the machine while boiling a kettle.. I dont find it inconvenient in the slightest and i would say im a power user as well.

Im pretty sure that force quitting the software update isnt the best idea.. The restart process afterward is part of the installation process..

When you update safari you also update the webkit, which is an integral part of the OS. So its actually necessary to restart..

PTP

13. belvdr macrumors 603

I can tell you've never administered a Unix system. You apply the patch and reboot immediately afterward (if required), usually during a maintenance window.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The OP assumed no one here would know any better. Oopps....

15. matkam thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just preference guys. Before Snow Leopard, you could apply an update that required a restart and go on using your computer. Once it was done, you could quit it instead of actually restarting. You could restart whenever its convenient after the update was done.

In Linux, you can update the kernel and then restart whenever you want. In Solaris, even though its not recommended, you can patch a fully booted system then reboot when you feel like it.

Snow Leopard forces you to close everything down before it gets updated.

I can understand why Apple does this. I know its not a big deal. I know I could have updated it by now. I wasn't whining. It's just another option I wish my Mac would give me, and I was hoping someone in the community had another good hack to make it work.

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you used MRoogle to find similar threads?

I remember that new update method was talked about during the beta phase or at least shortly after the release of 10.6.

17. matkam thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks spinnerlys! I found a thread with another Unix nerd who hates rebooting: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=57641

You can update the system through the terminal and all it does is ask politely to reboot:
    Code:
    sudo softwareupdate -i -a

18. macassre macrumors newbie

use spaces

Use Spaces. Have the install going in one space and go on with your work in the other.

19. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

May I know how you came upon this thread and what your incentive was to resurrect it, as Spaces doesn't cut it?