Software upgrade that involves Mail upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rivergull, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Rivergull macrumors newbie

Rivergull

Maybe this isn't the correct forum...I'm a newbie. Today, after checking and installing upgrades to my iMac OS X, I'm seeing a pop-up saying 'my existing messages need to be upgraded the first time I use Mail again." I'm not sure what it intends to do to my Mail messages and I'm slightly fearful because many of them are Outlook Express messages that were transferred from my old PC. Anyone gone ahead and done this 'mail upgrade' yet? and did you have any issues? -Rivergull

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I did it when 10.6.4 was released. Didn't effect my older email, though Im not entirely sure what it did.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It helps if you quote the exact text of any error messages you receive. Paraphrasing them makes it more difficult to offer specific solutions.

4. Rivergull thread starter macrumors newbie

Rivergull

Fair enough GGJstudios: Here's what happened, including the exact text of the popup.
    I had clicked on 'the apple' to look for software updates. It said there were two upgrades. I allowed the upgrade and noticed that the 1st one had something to do with iTunes...then I went to bed because the overall upgrade installation was going to take awhile. Today, it wanted me to 'restart the system' and I did. That's when a pop-up appeared and here's exactly what it said:
    "UPGRADE YOUR MAIL MESSAGES. Mail has been upgraded during a Mac OS X software update. Your existing messages need to be upgraded the first time you use Mail. This might take a few minutes. You won't be able to use Mail until the upgrade is finished. Click continue to upgrade your messages now, or click Quit to upgrade later."

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It happend with the majority of peoples upgrades (read the majority as those on here). It's not an error message as such, more of an information notice telling you what it was about to do.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Being able to search for the exact text brings up this:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/15/mac-os-x-10-6-4-is-in-software-update/2

As stridemat says, it's not really an error. It's just a notification. Nothing to worry about.

7. Rivergull thread starter macrumors newbie

Rivergull

Okay...thanks for all of your kind techie replies....especially that link from GGJstudios. Here goes....gonna let it 'upgrade my mail'.... but holding my breath because I do genealogy around the world and I keep a huge archive of rcvd and sent emails. I'll let you know what happens. ;o/

8. Rivergull thread starter macrumors newbie

Rivergull

All is Well

Did it's thing in a split second, and mail archives appear to be fine. Whew!