Software Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lschultz777, Feb 16, 2015.

1. lschultz777 macrumors member

I have a late macbook pro 2007. I recently installed 2 (2GB) memory cards to get 4 GB.

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

I have OS X 10.8.5 on my imac so I downloaded to a flash drive. WHen I try to download to my macbook pro, it won't install.

Any suggestions ?????

----------

Is it because I needed to have 10.6 to start off with ??

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't use the OS X installed version on one Mac to install on another. They are model-specific. Instead, buy Snow Leopard, then use the Mac App store to get the free upgrade to Yosemite.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There would not be anything unique about 10.8.5. One could DL the Mountain Lion installer on an iMac then make a USB installer key then use that to install on any Mountain Lion compatible Mac.

I know there were some edge cases of unique OS X versions in between point updates, but at this point in the update cycle there aren't any.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you referring to downloading the installer from Apple's site? Because the OP didn't specify where they got the installer. It sounded like they just took it from the iMac to the flash drive.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... you could get it from the App Store on your iMac and make the installer USB key then use it on any ML compatible Mac.

I'm not clear what he's up to there either and that's why I was asking him to explain what he did.

But you could even clone a ML iMac to a drive then clone that to a ML compatible MacBook and it would work fine. I don't think the issue here is the OS version, but rather the way OP is trying to use it.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

It sounds like the OP copied the already installed OS X folders from the iMac, and it sounds like that's what GGJ was saying won't work. The OP isn't real clear on what they've done.

8. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded 10.8.5 to flash drive from imac. When I install to macbook pro it says unable to download need 10.6. for it.

But After some research it looks like OS X 10.8.5 needs at least 5 GB. I only have 4 gb.

What's the max upgrade I can do ?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where exactly did you get the installer that you put on the flash drive? What exact steps did you follow?

10.8 only requires 2GB of RAM. See the link Weaselboy posted earlier for the system requirements. Your Mac supports up to 6GB of RAM and supports the most current version of OS X, Yosemite 10.10.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have 4GB of RAM and that is fine for Mountain Lion. To do an "upgrade" install (install over top of the OS without reinstalling everything), you will need 10.6.8 on the MacBook. What do you have on there now?

Is there apps or data on the MacBook you need to keep? You could go back to the iMac and use this app and a 8GB USB key to make an installer. Then option key boot to that installer in the MacBook and use Disk Utility to erase the drive then install Mountain Lion. But that would wipe the entire machine and leave you with nothing but the OS on there.

11. lschultz777 thread starter macrumors member

I just spoke to Apple. I need to purchase snow leopard to get it up to 10.6, then upgrade to yosemite free, then i can install the 10.8.5 if i want. thanks

12. chrfr macrumors 603

That makes no sense. If you've purchased 10.8 before, it will show up as an available download in the "Purchases" section of the App Store on your iMac. From there it's possible to create a USB installer and install Mountain Lion directly from the USB drive without any other operating system being previously installed on the Macbook Pro.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you have Leopard installed now - then boot to a Mountain Lion USB installer, I don't think you can upgrade to Mountain Lion (one-step upgrade a 10.5 system to 10.8)
    But, you CAN erase the partition, and then install Mountain Lion.