Software Upgrades - New User Info

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by chucksi, Jan 13, 2009.

1. chucksi macrumors newbie

I'm new to Apple having purchased a MacBook Pro over the Holidays. Like an idiot, I added iWork software unaware that Apple would be introducing a new software less than a month later. I assumed, wrongly, that Apple would at least credit me part of the purchase price to upgrade, if not offer the upgrade at no cost. Could not have been more wrong. I guess my question to those of you who are regular Apple users is, what other ways am I going to be disappointed by Apple? :confused:

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't expect to have any advance warning on updates, don't expect to ever have good Windows drivers, don't rely on Applecare, .

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I am someone who has owned Macs since 1989 and who has, on occasion, needed AppleCare. I can state without fear of contradiction that this statement is wholly without foundation. I strongly recommend AppleCare for all Mac owners.

To the OP, you need to understand that a new computer is a capital investment. You don't need to replace it every two weeks. Your computer hardware did not suddenly stop working when a new model was released. Your computer software did not suddenly become incompatible with all of your files when Apple introduced new versions.

My computer at home is a 2003 dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5. It is nearly six years old and works like a charm. My main computer at work is a 2005 liquid-cooled dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac G5. It is nearly four years old. Last weekend, I ordered a new 2.93 GHz 17" matte display MacBook Pro. I expect it go strong for the next five, six, seven, or perhaps eight years.

Apple owes you a quality computer for the price of a new machine. That is what it sold you. The person who buys a new computer after you bought yours will probably get a faster, more powerful machine. That is the way of technology. Learn to live with it or get professional help.